• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laubert75

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, im going camping tomorow at a cabin me and my friends made. Yes, we made it. it'll be cold, but we'll be in no danger, we'll have a fire and my cell phone. anyway, im going primative till sunday, and i wanted to know, after i skin a squirell, and knock out all the guts, can i peirce it through both ends with a stick and cook it? i'll be sure to cook it long enuff, (till throughly cook, almost black) but, after all this, cant we eat it?
thanks

yes but it will be really tough... sort of like eating an old boot :haha:

You sure can! I try to get out and pop a squirrel and spit him over a nice bed of coals at least once a year. Very satisfying to sit and have a pipe-full of La Merde du Boeuf Sauvage Tabac while waiting for the fire to burn down and then heat a cup of tea and enjoy a tough, 'ol half burnt and suspiciously undercooked-in-parts tree rat. It don't get no better than that.

Well, if ya cooks it till nearly black i 'spose you could still eat it, but i wouldn't. Way to done for me. As far as cooking it goes it is a wild squirrel not a pen raised cow so you don't have to worry as much about all the stupid diseases like mad cow, and such. You can eat him raw if ya want to, but cooked would be better. :grin: Just don't make Briquets out of the poor critter. :grin:

Better yet chunk him up, and throw him in a pot full of dumplins ..good stuff that way! :wink: :grin:

Davy

(from the sound of this, it might not be a bad idea to take a couple backup cans of vegetable beef soup with you :grin: )

Now I wonder if you slow cooked them in foil like the old boyscout trick of putting the coals in a hole and burying it for a few hours if that would work?? :hmm:
Well if your going to put them over a fire... try for the young ones :grin:

I have done the this with Ducks and rabbits, should work with tree rats.

First cook him over the fire or coals to get the flavor in there. Then wrap him in foil and burry him in the coals until he is tenders. MM good.

For the coals, first dig a small trench and put coals in it, then cover them with ash or dirt. Then put the foil wrap critter and a foil wrapped patatoe. Burry these with ash or dirt then cover this with coal. Keep the fire burning over the food for a couple of hours and it will be done.

Have fun.

My dad popped a few squirrels one year when he was beating the bush for the slower shots (me) but they got bad freezer burn and he threw them out. But I don't see anything bad coming from eating them (no need to burn either, if I remember right you can't get rabies from eating it). The first thing I ever killed with my .45 TC was a rabbit and it made very good stew the next night (what was left of it, deer load center mass at 10 feet didn't leave a whole rabbit behind).

I'm curious though, those squirrels were the HARDEST animal I've EVER had to skin. Not exactly sure who got cut more, me or the squirrels (same knife I have used since I turned 14 and I always keep it sharp). Is this consistent with everybody else or did I just get unlucky?

Nothing quite compares to hunting squirrels w/ a flintlock and head hitting them requires an accurate rifle and a steady hand. Any animal that can run up a tree vertically has to have strong muscles and would generally take a lot of cooking. Squirrels are the only game animal that I segregate by age.....the young cook quickly and the old ones seem to cook forever. We braise our squirrels after first browning them w/ flour and later add onions and garlic and the cook time depends on the age. Mighty fine eating. Cooking a rabbit over a campfire would work, but a squirrel requires moisture to break down the muscles and an open fire only provides dry heat. If you have strong "choppers" and don't have false teeth spit roasted squirrels would likely be the toughest meat a human could eat. I think even the Neanderthals avoided spitroasted squirrels and look at the huge teeth they had. Of course, to each his own......Fred

Carry a pot, cover squirrel with water and par boil for 30-45 minutes, until you can stick a fork in them...Then cook over fire...

Rabbits are fine over a fire, but a squirrel is tough...

Easiest way to skin is cut slit along the back and through the tail bone..Put the tail on the ground and stand on, then pull the back legs until the hide comes over the front legs...

Squirrel is good eatin', but I never tried 'em spitted. Would probly be dry and tough. I boil 'em then fry 'em. Or make stew.

The step on the tail trick is the best way I've found to skin 'em. :thumbsup: And the big old ones are both tougher to skin and to eat than the small young ones. Try to get the young ones.

Yes you can cook squirrells over the fire . Just dont overcook them, you will ruin them. Bring a little salt & pepper and cook it til about medium and it will be good. I have also quarterd and simmered squirrells in my cook pot till tender while on the trail. That tastes pretty good too. Good Luck and have fun.
Skwer-leater

Sounds like a great adventure.
You are likely in the woods when I am posting this.
Skin the squirrel when it is still warm.
Take a pot and make a soup or stew.
Some salt and pepper is a great idea.
Take a camera. We want pictures!

PJC

Back