• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels and 20 Gauge Smoothbore ! A good day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
..Just got back my barrel from Bob Hoyt. I had My TC Hawkems 50 cal.flint lock reamed to 28 gauge (.55 cal.) Smooth bore.

I got #6 shot shooting good patterns. So off to the woods for .."tree rats".

It was a good morning !!!

DSC046352.jpg

DSC04669.jpg

DSC04661.jpg

bud in pa ... I think it will do just fine ..Maybe I'll get a Fall Ohio Turkey tag ! and find out !

I had my doubt before I got one, but my .54 smoothbore has quickly become one of my favorites. Between my .54 smoothy, my .54 rifle, and my .32 rifle, I dont think there's much I can't successfully go after. If you're like me, that gun will just keep growing on you til you end up using it more than most others.

Jeff,
Often wondered about shooting a smoothy with shot loads and "rear sights". Do you hold the sight center mass or do you adjust your sight picture to a rising, or dropping, pattern? I have a 12 ga that shoots fabulous 50-55% patterns but the patterns are rising out to 30 yards, no rear sight so I cover my target, or clays, with the muzzle of the barrel and let them fly into the pattern.
Mark

Back