• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

St Louis Hawken Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laney1566

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am aware that a 1:60 twist rate is designed for patched round balls such as my GPR has.
I was looking at the barrel of my CVA ST Louis Hawken .50 cal and the barrel is a 1:48 twist.
Does that rate of twist work well with Maxi-Hunter bullets?

Yes, you may need to fiddle around with loads and the specific type of maxi but the 1:48 is generally considered a multi-purpose barrel. I got some hand cast maxis a couple years back, sorry I don't know the weights off hand, but there is a 2-band and a 3-band. I had extreme diffficulty loading the 3 band and accuracy not that great. The two band is a charm!

Leadpot, my St. Louis Hawken shoots really good with 350 grain maxi-hunters in front of 90 grains of powder. Killed lots of deer with that load.

Hey Sarge,
I really like that shooting table,would you have
any other pic's of it up close?It looks pretty simple to build!Thanks
Ernie

Latest posts

Back