• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Staining a Cherry Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I have ordered a trade gun with an unfinished cherry stock. I also just took a pistol in trade with an unfinished cherry stock. What were the odds? I hope they will make a nice combo.

Anyway, my question is this. I have never worked with any wood other than maple or oak. What are some good suggestions for staining cherry? What would you suggest? I am wanting to do a hand rubbed oil finish but am open to other ideas. I also want to bring the grain out as much as possible. Any pointers for me?

Thanks,
Bill

Depends what you want. Cherry is one of those woods that really only needs a finish on it. But it can be to "Red" for some. It does darken with age though. I have a rifle being built now with cherry by Roy and did not like the natural look, he's come up with a couple of tricks thats gotten the look I want.

like this? Roy did my cherry smoothbore..
smmoothiebutt.jpg
[/img]

Back