• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stand, blind or still hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a real big deer hunter for a few years, i would use portables and a lot of them I would have 25 to 35 feet in the air. I turned 40 and one of the things I noticed is it is hard to pu those stands up now, I also just seem to have lost a lot of interest in the whole deal with people and stuff. so the last 3 or 4 years with getting into flintocks i have a new interest but still dont like hanging those stands. I think I will try the ground more and when I find good funnels and stuff try the ladder stands

I tried tree stands here in GA a few times and twice missed dear cause I couldn't shift position easily and quietly. Last 3 years I have still hunted. Got my deer each time the first day. I find the still hunting more fun and perhaps mor "romantic" when I am using a flintlock, which is all I hunt with theses days. Now turkey season will call for a ground blind.

I hunt pasture land that we lease for cattle. It is 2 miles by 3 miles, and is high open range that is broken by about a dozen big deep canyons and a major creek bottom. Most of my hunting is walking the top edges of those canyons, carefully watching what is happening in the bottoms 150 to 200 feet below. Most of the shots are at a 45 degree down angle and can run from 50-400 yards. Obviously when hunting BP, shots are held to 100 yards or less. Yield from this pasture could be either large whitetail or mule deer. I have only still hunted one time.

B

Well I am jealous of all of y'all. I won't be able to go hunt until the 20th at the soonest. I don't have access to private property - I have to hunt the WMAs...

This old Cat uses the tree stand for those whitetails when the weather is warm enough. Tree stands work best in my area. However, it's best for me to cruise the woods nice and slow during a good snow.
Cat9

Back