• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Staple underlug installation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozflint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can some of you experts please explain how these staple underlugs work? How are they installed - solder or stake?

Well, I definately am no expert, but I can tell ya how to install them. They make a double punch that marks the center of the staple holes to be drilled, you punch the barrel with it.
Go to the drill press & clamp the barrel in & put a stop on the drill bit so you cannot drill past that stop, set it to the proper depth ya want. (by the way, this part is important).
You drill the two holes.
Then you take a staple punch & it is made so it goes over & around the staple as it has a slot cut out of it, you punch each side of the staple & your are done & it is NOT coming out.

:thumbsup:

Dsc08427.jpg

Dsc08428.jpg

Dsc08429.jpg

You legend you! That's one of the best posts - clear, concise and illustrated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Pity this forum doesn't have a referral system for such posts.

Just make dam sure you have the drill stop set correctly.
It is a very sickening feeling to have the little drill bit drill thru the wall of a $220 swamped barrel.

Then again, cutting 5 inches off of the front of a swamped barrel does make for a rather impressive looking muzzle.
cangun6.jpg
[/img]

Zonie has a good point about swamped barrels and staples. I wont use them, I have seen a swamped Rice barrel rendered useless because of them.

The rear lug was OK but, the front 2 where a problem. Not because they were drilled too far but, because when setting the staple the punch dented the inside of the barrel.

This gun was a kit from one the top suppliers that a guy had bought and then changed his mind about being able to build. He had the supplier cut the dovetails for sights and install the lugs because he thought it was more that he could handle. He contacted me to do the build and we struck a deal to do it as a “I’ll help him so he could learn about gun building kind of thing”. He lived about 30 miles from me and it worked out real good.

Well, he did most all of the work and ask questions at the right times and came up with a very nice rifle over the course of ½ a year. During finial assemble he mentioned that as every now and then he would wipe the bore and felt bumps as the jag passed two spots in the bore. I dropped a light gown the bore and sure enough two small bumps under both forward lugs. By the way the barrel was a .50 B weight 42”. I happen to have an account with the supplier and a phone call got a new barrel on the way.

The fellow that owns the rifle knows how to cut dovetails now and the rifle shoots perfect to this day.

If you go to Rice’s website you find a warning about how to attach lugs to their barrels.

Bruce Everhart

Back