• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Start em young

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
Took my eldest boy out for a walk this afternoon. Managed to take a hare at 30 yards with my .54 Pedersoli RM Hawken.

IMG_0705.jpg

It’s funny I’m mentally chiding you for taking your child out in shorts, thinking it’s hot as anywhere here in AZ and I wouldn’t put shorts on a little guy like that . Then I realized your in the hottest part of summer there right now.😂

It’s funny I’m mentally chiding you for taking your child out in shorts, thinking it’s hot as anywhere here in AZ and I wouldn’t put shorts on a little guy like that . Then I realized your in the hottest part of summer there right now.😂
Yeah it was about 35 Deg C at the time, day temps had nudged 40C.

Be careful, you want to use enough gun on those.
But seriously, good on you taking him out. I wish I'd had a dad who did that for me.

I try getting him out as much as I can, I'm from generational hunters so my dad took me out from the time I could as did his dad for him and on and on. Probably the first to be using black powder guns since the 1800s though!

F0EB1B5A-74C7-4C54-B5DF-2558ED11D157.jpeg
Yeah it was about 35 Deg C at the time, day temps had nudged 40C.
95 degrees F. Are those snake gators or just gators? It gets up to 46 in the summer (record 49) here, but you won’t generally catch me in 35 without a pool nearby. The twelve years I spent as a child in Denver (elevation 1 mile high) turned me against the heat. Right now it is a balmy 16. Enjoying the cool evening with Porter who is looking at owls in my mesquite tree.

View attachment 114367
95 degrees F. Are those snake gators or just gators? It gets up to 46 in the summer (record 49) here, but you won’t generally catch me in 35 without a pool nearby. The twelve years I spent as a child in Denver (elevation 1 mile high) turned me against the heat. Right now it is a balmy 16. Enjoying the cool evening with Porter who is looking at owls in my mesquite tree.

They're sock protectors, prime grass seed season at the moment! But being in Australia whenever you leave the house in warm months snakes are front of mind. I just have him walk behind me so I can clear the path.

Sounds like we have very similar climates, our summers are about the same. Don't get snow here in the winter though, just rain.

What's the breed?

They're sock protectors, prime grass seed season at the moment! But being in Australia whenever you leave the house in warm months snakes are front of mind. I just have him walk behind me so I can clear the path.

Sounds like we have very similar climates, our summers are about the same. Don't get snow here in the winter though, just rain.

What's the breed?
Porter is an American style Brittany. His fur is pretty short compared to the French ones. We busted a covey of quail today in the park. So fun. He’s nothing like my last Brittany, but that’s fine.

We have tons of snakes here too. Kind of unreasonably dangerous and numerous, but not as deadly as Australia.

We very rarely have snow in Phoenix. Once every ten years or so and it melts immediately, but just 2 hours north and there is cold winters and snow every time we have precipitation in AZ. We have Merriam’s wild turkeys in AZ up on the rim, in my opinion, the greatest game bird in the world. I wouldn’t mind trying a guinea fowl hunt though, to make sure.

Took my eldest boy out for a walk this afternoon. Managed to take a hare at 30 yards with my .54 Pedersoli RM Hawken.

View attachment 114013
That young long hunter looks pumped! That is the 1:24 twist, right? And does it have the "Ghost peep?" I have been debating on buying this rifle a long time. Toby Bridges said back n the day, top shooters could put 10 shots in a 2-inch circle at 40 rods (220) yards! Shooting heavy and long paper patched conical. I am considering the Missouri Hawken, the fast twist "Hunter" Hawken, or have Mr. Hoyt rebore my T/C Hawken? Looks like Australia in the background, and a kangaroo size compared with your boy, what a rabbit indeed.

His rabbit looks too be about the same size as the hunter, good job. My dad started me hunting at about 5-6 years old and I never looked back.
Me too. I remember not being allowed to load my dad's old Ivery Johnson 20 gauge until I was sitting on a bucket, laid up against a tree, or standing beside him staring at the squirrels. On my first deer kill, a huge 4 pointer with over a foot spread, he had stopped me at the edge of a tiny hay field, while he and my late brother went farther down in the woods trying to get in front of a beagle puppy being trained by a 3 legged sooner and dad of course. I remember it like yesterday. I saw horns going up n down with seeing all but his legs at full jump, closed my eyes, and pulled the trigger. a little while passed, with dad and little Rhody arriving excitedly, "Did you get em?", and all I could say," huge buck dad, huge!" Then we noticed an aweful growling and racket thrashing sounds about 75 10 100 yards away. My buckshot paralyzed his back legs, and Sam had him by his tail. Dad finished the buck off. I was only 11 years old, and such a proud fat boy indeed. That 20 bore has a full choke and long barrel, won a many turkey shoots with it too.

Porter is an American style Brittany. His fur is pretty short compared to the French ones. We busted a covey of quail today in the park. So fun. He’s nothing like my last Brittany, but that’s fine.

We have tons of snakes here too. Kind of unreasonably dangerous and numerous, but not as deadly as Australia.

We very rarely have snow in Phoenix. Once every ten years or so and it melts immediately, but just 2 hours north and there is cold winters and snow every time we have precipitation in AZ. We have Merriam’s wild turkeys in AZ up on the rim, in my opinion, the greatest game bird in the world. I wouldn’t mind trying a guinea fowl hunt though, to make sure.

I very nearly got a brittany myself as a gun dog, but ended up with a GSP. Brits here don't come in black and white, very beautiful dog.

I'm still getting my head around different climates in USA. I don't think I looked into AZ too much as draw opportunity didn't seem all that good for non residents from memory. I would love to hunt turkey, they have Merriam in NZ which I've really wanted to hunt but they're mostly on private property. Guinea fowl would be a great addition to an African hunt. I've always thought Chuckar and pheasant would be good fun too. Here we hunt ducks and quail, in northern Australia they hunt Magpie geese which are a large heron. That would be fun.

That young long hunter looks pumped! That is the 1:24 twist, right? And does it have the "Ghost peep?" I have been debating on buying this rifle a long time. Toby Bridges said back n the day, top shooters could put 10 shots in a 2-inch circle at 40 rods (220) yards! Shooting heavy and long paper patched conical. I am considering the Missouri Hawken, the fast twist "Hunter" Hawken, or have Mr. Hoyt rebore my T/C Hawken? Looks like Australia in the background, and a kangaroo size compared with your boy, what a rabbit indeed.

You're thinking of the Missouri River (which I also own), the Rocky Mountain is a 1:66 twist gun for round balls.

I initially ordered a hawken hunter so I could use conicals and sabots for shooting further out. I changed it to the Missouri river and am glad I did its a beautiful gun. While I was waiting 9 months for it to arrive this RM came up for sale online for a great price so I jumped on it. Its become my favourite muzzleloader.

When I bought the RM it had a Lyman 57SML peep installed which I liked enough i bought another for my Missouri River 50.

Hares are more closely related to your Jack rabbits, dark red rich meat. I'm not fond of it but my dog loves it. Rabbit on the other hand is one of my favourites.

You're thinking of the Missouri River (which I also own), the Rocky Mountain is a 1:66 twist gun for round balls.

I initially ordered a hawken hunter so I could use conicals and sabots for shooting further out. I changed it to the Missouri river and am glad I did its a beautiful gun. While I was waiting 9 months for it to arrive this RM came up for sale online for a great price so I jumped on it. Its become my favourite muzzleloader.

When I bought the RM it had a Lyman 57SML peep installed which I liked enough i bought another for my Missouri River 50.

Hares are more closely related to your Jack rabbits, dark red rich meat. I'm not fond of it but my dog loves it. Rabbit on the other hand is one of my favourites.
That Rocky Mountain is an absolutely beautiful gun. Do you shoot paper patched bullets out of your Missouri River, or sabots? If I had the funds to travel abroud, I'd definitely enjoy a long visit down Yander

Back