• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

start of a patch / neck knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nifeman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey fellers, started a little patch knife today. Forged to shape with a little finger pad forged in (like them digits). Made it from a hay rake tooth. I think I'll use snappin turtle shell for the handles. It is a handy size 6" with a 2 1/2" blade. Its completely hand done without power tools other than drillin the holes. In your hand you can see the various file / sanding marks. I'll post another pic when it's done, patination and all. Hope ya like it...Bud
patch.jpg

Hi Nifeman, thats a good looking start, cant wait to see how it finishes up. I just started to do some forging, and it aint easy thats for sure. Could you explain how you forge the fingerguard pad? I saw a knife a while ago that had this and it was a neat feature. Been wondering ever since how it was done. Thanks.

Looks like you know what your doin :front: should turn out nice please post the finished pic's

Thanks for the comments fellers. I'm not the best photog in the business. It looks better in your hand. The turtle shell is the underneath part and kinda looks like stag.

Hi Nifeman, thats a good looking start, cant wait to see how it finishes up. I just started to do some forging, and it aint easy thats for sure. Could you explain how you forge the fingerguard pad? I saw a knife a while ago that had this and it was a neat feature. Been wondering ever since how it was done. Thanks.

JM, it's easy to do. Just bring up to a cherry red heat and hold it by the blade with the spine resting on the anvil. Take a crosspein and hit where the blade/handle come together(with the pein part), when satisfied clean up with a ballpein and light blows. :results:

Or, ya could get one of mine :winking: ...Bud

Nice forging Nifeman. :thumbsup: I've just started to learn forging knives. I beat on one knife for an hour and a half. and then threw it back into the scrap pile. :shocking: I've been making damascus billets with a buddy, but anyone can swing a sledge hammer and fold and square stock. just need to work on more finish stuff. :hmm: Keep hammerin, excellent work.

Hey Nifeman, that's gonna be a good looking knife. I wondered if you'd ever tried forging titanium, it's tough stuff. I just finished this little knife and put a razor edge on it and am now checking to see how well it holds it.
So far seems to be holding it well.

Titaniumknife.jpg

Thanks, LH, 1st time I've tried titanium, it's tough and gets tougher after forging, I believe it's going to be a good blade.

One of these days i'll get some of that stuff set up ,I have a anvil and forge forge is a round portable rivet type forge nothin fancy gota line it with fire clay or something and I want to try my hand at makeing some forged items for the myself ,friends and family

Thanks, LH, 1st time I've tried titanium, it's tough and gets tougher after forging, I believe it's going to be a good blade.

I have a titanium turbine blade from a J-79-GE-15A turbojet engune (for an F-4 Phantom) that was tempered at 1500 degrees for 2000 hours, let me tell you, it is tough stuff...

Nifeman, thank you for the forging tip. I'm going to give it a try next time I fire up the forge. Also checked out your website, very nice!

Hi, Nifeman.

Be carefull - this Blacksmithing and Forging stuff is VERY ADDICTIVE! It's had me hooked for several decades.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi ... my name is Mike ... and I'm a blacksmith ... my last work at the anvil was one day ago ... ::
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another way to make that little finger pad flair is to hammer your hot blade down over a round bar on your anvil. The larger the bar, the longer the finger pad becomes. It's just a more controlled version of hammering with the crosspeen - that "hitting the same spot" stuff. I use several of different thicknesses in the shape of a staple - one end fits in the pritchel hole, and the other in the hardy hole.

You can do the same thing over the horn of the anvil, but that horn tapers, so you would have to switch sides to even out the fullering/flairing. Keesler does this type of finger guard on a bunch of his knives. It looks great - being forged as part of the knife instead of being added on like a brass guard.

Good work. Sounds like it will be a pretty snazzy knife. And those smaller knives are way too handy to just use as a patch knife. Of course, getting one back from the "kitchen help" can be something of a battle. But then you just have to make another! So goes life.

yhs
Mike Ameling

Well, got it done. It has snapping turtle scales held by nickel silver pins. It was fun and I hope to make more...Bud
neckr1.jpg

neckr2.jpg

Looks great! Make more, and post them. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I'll show you some of mine.

Latest posts

Back