• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting a pecatonica early lancaster - help?! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brightboy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well, I just got in my early lancaster "fully Inletted" kit from Pecatonica, and I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. The kit is "inletted" so I have some pretty good guardrails but would like some wisdom on the steps you'd take to make sure all goes together well. Barrel, lock, then trigger? Any major pitfalls to avoid? Considerations regarding touch hole?

It goes without saying this will be my first build so I'm all ears!!

Good news is I have full support from my two boys:)

Attachments

• 20240808_073237.jpg
    20240808_073237.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 6
I agree with Pete and can’t stress enough that at least one book on the subject of building the PA long rifle is critical to a successful build. You have chosen decent material to start but these parts sets don’t just fall together (unlike another prominent kit).

With the pre inletted stocks, you have to check the barrel setback, specifically the breech plug face vs. center of the flash pan. If not careful, you can get the touch hole too far aft, interfering with breech plug. One can groove the plug face a bit (not uncommon in original specimens, so I've read). You have to pull the breech plug of course to do this. Just a gotcha to be aware of that I missed on one of my builds. There's a lot going on in this area and having the lock already inlet means you have to justify the barrel to it. Think through your moves before you cut into anything. You WILL make mistakes, we all do. The masters get better at hiding them!

After doing a couple of pre inlets, I'd rather start with a roughed blank with maybe just the barrel channel and maybe the ramrod hole cut but little else. It's an adventure! Take your time and do read relevant books. The "Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" is mighty good. Helped me a LOT.

Latest posts

Back