• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stayin' traditional!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richard123

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well guys...I hate to admit it...but I got selected for a special hunt here in MO on a conservation tract of land where only MZ firearms are allowed. Lots of deer, and lots of long shots due to massive crop fields. Always been a fan of long rifles; I currently own a Blue Ridge in .45 and an old CVA Kentucky in .45, both percussion. This year I came across a good deal at Cabelas on an in-line (arrgh!) it had a scope. Because of my fading vision (I'm 46) , I thought, what the hell.

This thing is a tack driver with a 250 grn Hornandy SST and 2 pyrodex pellets. Unfortunately I made a good shot at 100 yards on a nice size doe- followed a blood trail for nearly a mile- and never recovered the deer.

Moral of the story; don't be fooled by ballistics and the hype that modern muzzle loaders are as powerful as centerfire rifles...Get close, and get personal..And place that old lead ball or conical exactly where it needs to go..

As I read, I got tense on the edge of my seat, thinking, "Did he really...?" But thank goodness the moral is sound. That was a teeth clencher! :grin:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I tried a inline several years ago also shot a deer and couldn't find it. Gave the gun away and shot side locks ever since and always try to wait for a close shot. pappy :wink:

I don't need convincing about traditional gear, but I do think you need to rethink the "good shot" you made. Deer don't go a mile after a good shot.

Sillygoose is absolutely correct. Not sure at 100 yards or even much closer how one knows or assumes a "good shot" unless a dead deer is very close by.

The "unmentionable" rifles aren't less effective than traditional gear...just not as good looking or as much fun to shoot!!!

I am sure they are capable of it but I have yet to see an modern inline muzzleloader out shoot my .54 GPR Lyman at 50 and 100yrds at the range. On top of that it seems there is just as much effort in loading and cleaning the modern guns as the traditional ones. If you practice enough and know where the ball hits you can make shots out to 125 yards consistently. The ball will penetrate fine on broad side shots on deer out to 125yrds. After that it drops off too much to be consistent.

Nothing wrong with the bullets you were using, you just failed to put it in the right place.

I have an inline as I am a hunter safety instructor...., I don't use it for hunting..., never have. IF it's really raining hard..., the scope on the thing is worthless as droplets obscure the lenses, and I prever to switch from my flinter to my .54 New Englander caplock, with a bit o' beeswax around the cap and the base of the nipple. Works just fine, just a little less fun than my flinter, and shoots the same load as the flinter. :grin:

LD

never tryed those new things with that silly tube on top.when my gun bear roar its not uncomen for my pray to laydown and die.

At 67 my eyes have gotten less than perfect. I always felt that the only advantage a hunter useing a modern rifle had was the scope. If they use iorn sights it's a pretty level playing field. I practice and find my limitations. Over the years I have found that if I widen the rear sight notch and put brass or ivory on the front fight it really helps.Here in East Texas you can set up for close shots. Better luck next time! Geo. T.

I agree- the SST is a fine projectile and very accurate when matched with the right powder charge. And I also agree that the shot may not have been perfect. Point is this; regardless of the blackpowder or BP substitute, the velocity and trajectory of the projectile drops significantly more at this range than the modern centerfire cartridge. In fact- this load is not much better ballisticly than a 20 gauge shotgun slug. That's why I'm stickin' with the good ole' lead RB.

I started off traditional, went over to the darkside, and now have came back full circle to complete traditional, even during regular firearm season. Just gives me a special satisfaction that nothing else does. Plus, and trust me on this one, you put a roundball in the right spot and that sucker is going DOWN. I am amazed at their killing ability, very efficient when well placed.

Jeff

I have a Knight Dis extreme 50 cal, that shoots wonderful, but I have not shot it in going on two years. I much prefer the traditional rifles, but if the need comes, the old Knight will deliver the goods upon request. I just find the traditional rifles and the history that goes with it more interesting. This years mission is to take a deer with my TC Hawken 45 caliber rifle with PRB. This Hawken is a great shooter and fun to shoot.

with iron sights and my age I just find a peep sight and keeping the distance close is how I need to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back