• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still not cleaned!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great B'. :thumbsup:

I was thinking about turkeys and your homeland. I sure would like to read a story by you of a big old tom gobbling his guts out right in front of you and one of your smokepoles!

A shame you all don't have them running around, across the pond. I KNOW you'd love hunting for them.

Thanks for sharing, Skychief

Squab? They're huge!
I have a friend that does the same thing with fish photo's.
If he holds his arm out with the fish near the camera lens,, they look much bigger in proportion to everything else in the photo

I have seen those wood pigeons in France, they are huge. The size of a big chicken.

Brit, you shoot that gun so often that it doesn't have time to foul or rust. :wink:

I loaded up a SxS a year ago last March and didn't shoot it until 3 days ago. Both barrels went off with no hesitation.

"Went off like a fire cracker."

A firecracker has a fuse = hang fire. :blah:

Patocazador said:
Brit, you shoot that gun so often that it doesn't have time to foul or rust. :wink:

I loaded up a SxS a year ago last March and didn't shoot it until 3 days ago. Both barrels went off with no hesitation.

"Went off like a fire cracker."

A firecracker has a fuse = hang fire. :blah:
Ok ok, it went off very quickly. In a flash :shake:

B :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy said:
Just breast them friend :hatsoff:

B.
If they taste anything like our morning doves ..You have a real treat!
----------------------------------------------
Brits..I'm missing something here???

what's the purpose of not cleaning your fowler?

Is this a field test?

Just curious is all...

I just get fed up with folk making out how necessary it is to thoroughly wash a gun every single outing.
I have just been keeping it dry and an olive oiled patch run down the bore. The gun stored muzzle down.
My lube coats the lock and the flint and frizzen is degreased just before the next outing.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
I have just been keeping it dry and an olive oiled patch run down the bore. The gun stored muzzle down.
My lube coats the lock and the flint and frizzen is degreased just before the next outing.

B.

What is your degreasing regimen if I may ask.

Britsmoothy said:
I just get fed up with folk making out how necessary it is to thoroughly wash a gun every single outing.

B.
-------------------------------------

Thanks Brit,,,Great field test you have going!

what brand of black powder and what grade are you shooting-fowling your bore with.

I first got in to this in New Mexico. It can be dry there. I had read that an ml had to be cleaned as soon as you got home. I just did so. Till one time I didn't. Gun looked just the same the next day when I did clean. There after I tried to clean same day but some times went two or three. Was in California in the navy and same thing. One time having to wait a whole week. Its the same thing I found in Wyoming. A day or two made no difference.
Then I came to the Ozarks. Miss cleaning by a day brown demon will be making a home by the morning.
I have been know to have let the sun set while still in a spat with my wife, but bed wont see me till my gun is clean.

Britsmoothy said:

B.
------------------------------------------------

Brits..I had a 32 cal. rifle that somehow became pitted at the breach..it was a pain to fix...

That's why I expound a clean bore
to keep others from feeling my pain!

In all honestly I would rather buy a used fowler that's been cleaned after each use if I had the choice...barrel replacement can be very trying.

It's obvious your climate and powder brand allow the swab only.

But it's not something I would recommend to a newbie to the hobby.No way!
No how!..

one thing I have learned when at the pattern board.
testing with different types of shot and powders..

My spotless bores always threw consistent patterns.

and when turkey hunting this is a big deal.

P5040516_zpst3ydjfhl.jpg

When out dove hunting I carry a complete separate swabbing rod.....due to the amount of shooting.

Mine is just a different view from different experiences...

Keep on keeping on! Enjoy your posts...Dan

Back