• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stitching Question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrownBear said:
One thing I've found with glover's needles, they need sharpening and a touch of rouge now and then, just like awls.

I ordered some rouge the other day and when it arrived it was as hard as a brick! Now I've always used wet sand paper to sharpen my awls, and wanted to dry something else. Is this stuff supposed to be that hard?

Spotted Bull said:
Is this stuff supposed to be that hard?

Yup. Reminds me of a fat chunk of blackboard chalk.

Here's a worthwhile trick:

Lay a piece of about 320 grit paper on the benchtop and rub the rouge over it to flatten one side. Follow briefly with about 400 grit, and 600 is better.

Now you have a flat, smooth "platform" you can drag needles and awl points across for the final polish.

Makes a huge difference.

I use forceps when needed they quickly lock and unlock on the needle or my clothes to keep them handy and if you clamp it on length wise you are less likely to poke your self tho it does reduce the DNA marking of your equipment

A couple of other tips. Being an old sailor, I use whats called "Sail Makers" palms. They are made of heavy rawhide. Kinda like a half glove which wraps around your thumb and palm. They will have a small piece of cupped iron that you set the non-pointy end of the needle in, and then push through the leather. I have one for both, right and left hands. You can find them at a good Chandlery/boat store.
The other idea is for pliers, I use what was described as a beading needle nosed pliers. They do not have teeth in the jaws. Also, for forceps, get a pair from a Fly Fishing supplier as they also have smooth jaws. The teeth will score your needle and make it difficult to punch through the leather.

awhile ago the"Maker's Mark"bourbon people who coat their bottle necks with red wax sent out promotional sticks of red sealing wax I've been putting a drop of that on knots as being more pc than crazy glue Hank

hank said:
awhile ago the"Maker's Mark"bourbon people who coat their bottle necks with red wax sent out promotional sticks of red sealing wax I've been putting a drop of that on knots as being more pc than crazy glue Hank

way cool ... visited the distillery when I was stationed at Ft Knox ... really neat ...

I suppose you could use a heat gun to melt the wax off the bottles ... :hmm:

Back