• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock crack update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Claude pulled the original post as he thought it might get to be a personal thing.
Here's the update: It isn't that bad. I got it under a good bright light. The pics are gone from the board now, but the top rear isn't a crack. Good light showed it to be grain in the wood- and it fooled the heck out of me. I think the bottom is a scratch, not a crack. After I pulled the lock and looked at it hard I tried flexing the stock. There is no flex and it really looks like it was scratched.
The top crack is a crack, but it is very small and should not affect anything. I don't think it will get worse either. I think someone may have slightly overtightened the lock screw, but there was no change when I removed the lock or installed it again.
So I am good to go again.
I apologise if I caused anyone to look at Bubba in a bad light. He has been open to questions and was understandibly surprised when I started asking about a crack. I checked before I posted this and from the start he has told me that he never fired it. The LOP is too short for him.

Now, if my powder will just get here.

Jim

As was suggested in the other post, if there is a hair line crack, buy some of the thin runny super glue and apply it to the crack.
It will flow into the crack and set up. This should prevent the crack from growing.

The little extra glue that remains on the outside of the crack can be wiped off with a wet paper towel. Don't use your dry finger to remove the glue or you may become more "attached" to your gun than you really want to be. :rotf:

Zonie, do you speak from experience?
I remember when superglue first came out in the '70s. A mechanic at the Honda motorcycle shop dad worked at saw it, read the warning, then put some on his finger and stuck them together. he just didn't believe their warning.
I still remember dad using an X-Acto knife to seperate his fingers. Dummy!

I will check into gluing the crack. I don't think it will be an issue, but the glue won't hurt anything.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back