• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Engraving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegro1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I also asked this on the other workshop forum.
I was wondering and so I'm asking ya pro's. I have a French Tulle and the stock is plain with no fancy scrollings, carvings or etchings, or whatever you wanna call it. What is the best way to do this? I was gonna draw out my design and then using carbon paper redraw it onto the stock and using a fine point drimmel carve out my design on the butt. Nothing too fancy or too deep. Is this the right way? Is there any easy way?

French Tulle's, as a rule, were not carved on the butt stock. These were very plain, servicable guns.

Usually, a beaver tail, at the tang, and on the lock and side plate panels.

As they didn't have dremel's in the 18th Century, it was done with chisels and knives.

It's your gun, do as you wish, but people generally appreciate some authenticity in this regard.

Not trying to be a smart***, but any value, at least to another person, could be lost with some unjudicious, unauthentic carving.

Hope this helps.

Stay away from the Dremel tool. It is a great way to screw up a stock FAST. An X-acto knife would be a much better choice.

Not to mention that the "carving" would stand out like a sore thumb BECAUSE a Dremel can't replicate a blade carving.

Just my opinion.

On that type i would steer clear cos it wont look right. To dolly up something that should be plain and simple dosent add to the piece. As the guy said ban the dremmel to the model aircraft shop or somesuch place, dont even let it see a nice rifle.
Just my two penoth
Regards
Dobson

Any kind of carving that would look "right" would be relief carving, done with chisels and knives (and gouges and V tools and...). You may have some simple carving around the tang and around the lock panels, but that would be about it.

You could make it look like "secondary" carving, in which case, you could do some period style folk art. Or Indian work. But it still needs to be done with proper tools!

I don't know of any good books specifically on carving.... "The art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" is as good a book to start with as any.

The gun I'm talking about is an Early French Fusil de Chasse trade gun, the carving I'm talking about is not a figure or detailed etching but just a simple thin line following the line of the but stock and maybe curling around. Its a very simple carving... but if most here agree this type of flinter had no etchings in the stock I'll let it go.

I hope this, "don't do it with a dremel talk" is discouraging. The bottom line is... It's your gun. Take a chance. I carved all over my rifle and I love it. My carving is not low relief and I didn't copy anyone elses pattern out of a book. My mentor rolled his eyes around when he saw it.

loydsCarvingButstock.jpg

Black Hand said:
Stay away from the Dremel tool. It is a great way to screw up a stock FAST. An X-acto knife would be a much better choice.

Not to mention that the "carving" would stand out like a sore thumb BECAUSE a Dremel can't replicate a blade carving.

Just my opinion.

AMEN!
A Dremel in the hands of a good craftsman is a damn handy tool for some applications (like inleting a lock).
BUT, it Ain't nothing to be trying to carve on a stock with... You WILL screw it up :nono:

Back