• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am refinishing the buttstock and forarm on my Mowrey rifle.I have used Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil in the past with good results but would like something not quite so glossy, any suggestions? thanks

Depends on what you mean by glossy. The Laural Mountain Forge Permilyn Sealer / Finish system gives a low gloss if small amounts are hand rubbed into the stock. 3 coats Sealer brushed on, two coats Finish rubbed on, steel wool, another two of Finish with steel wool in between, last coat of Sealer. All but the first Sealer coats done with very little liquid in small patches, by hand. Still, the finish is a "low gloss".

If you're already comfortable with Tru-Oil then no sense not using it. It's a really good finish. You can always knock the sheen back with rottenstone or compound to adjust it to exactly what you want.

I haven't tried the rottenstone, but Birchwood Casey's own Stock Rubbing Compound does a dandy job of turning the gloss into satin. Really seems to make the figure in wood stand out, too. Love the stuff, and easy to use. One small bottle is pretty much a lifetime supply, it goes so far.

I have used plain old red automotive rubbing compound to cut the glossy finish of tru-oil.

I built a bastard Fusil with a walnut stock. Stained the stock with jacobean stain and finished it with Bore Butter, beeswax and elbow grease. Easy peasey, and when I clean the gun I just rub more bore butter on the stock.

Brownells has a Stock Rubbing Kit that has Boiled linseed oil, Rottonstone, and felt rubbing pads included. Been using it fer years. Nocks the shine off of almost anything.

HH

Back