• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock knot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost 23

Disciple of Christ
Reaction score
Im beginning work on my pedersoli Pennsylvania, it arrived yesterday. Upon inspection, I knott that runs horizontally from knot end to end about half way up the stock. When flexed, a small crack is visible.

Ive already reached out to Dixie, thought id ask for opinions here as to how hard, if at all, i should push for a replacement. Its in the right spot for the barrels weight to help keep it together, but im a little concerned as to if it will survive the recoil and general weight of the thing.

PXL_20230928_030234516.jpg
PXL_20230928_030228095.jpg

If you can get a replacement that would be good, I have heard that getting Pedersoli to supply replacement parts may be a problem but I don't have firsthand knowledge of that, just hearsay.

If you have to keep the stock I would fill the hairline crack with superglue and drill a hole down through the wrist from the tang inlet and put a piece of all thread rod in the hole with lots of epoxy glue. Disclaimer: I have never done this but have followed similar repairs made by the folk here for the last 20 years or so.

Like Mike said, this may be one of those problems that goes away as you remove the excess wood.

I looks to me to be below the entry pipe, not in the wrist. The barrel will support it just fine. As was said most of the crack will be gone when the stock is properly shaped and it will look cool. There's usually some curl around knots. If the crack is still open after final shaping, inject it from the back side with CA glue or Titebond II tinted with food coloring to match the final finished color.

Trees have knots.

Knots are character marks. The more the better.

When I build a piece of pine furniture, I look for as many knots as possible in those boards.

Well considering the crack runs through to the underside of the barrel(as i said knot to knot), and i wasnt planning on sawing off my muzzleloader, ill be sending it back.

Thanks for the input all

I see it now, looked like a tang inlet to me initially. The forearm is just hanging off the barrel at that point, no strain on it whatsoever.
Super glue the crack and pretend it doesn't exist.

I have posted this before; I had a similar crack in a 2nd hand Kibler SMR kit, I think the previous owner grabbed the barrel in one hand, the forearm in the other and tried to jerk a very tight-fitting barrel out of the stock. The crack was about 2 1/2" long.

I super glued the crack and held it closed while the glue set up, after sanding and applying finish to the stock the crack is all but invisible.

The crack starts above the pin and angles down to the left.

kibler crack.JPG

Latest posts

Back