• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock repair question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlonthebrain

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
While I was working on building my percussion fowler (in it's very early stages) tonight, I noticed a small crack :cursing: , located on the inside (left side) of the barrel channel halfway between the lock panel and the ramrod entry pipe. This is an approximately 2 1/2" very fine crack that does not go through to the exterior of the stock. I want to get this repaired before I mess with it anymore. I was thinking super-glue (I don't think you could work epoxy into it as the crack seams too fine). I thought I would ask before I tried this, as I know there is a wealth of experience here on the forum. Any suggestions?

I've glued cracks by first applying the stain, letting dry and then using the runny "super Glue" and the "glue" becomes the color of the stain. I've also taken a very small gouge and closely followed the crack and filled in w/ colored epoxy. This was both done alone and after the "Super Glue". In the bbl channel I'd still stain and then use the runny "Super Glue" and later on stain the bbl channel....Fred

I use thinned epoxy for repairs like this.
"super glue" type glues tend to be brittle and don't stand up well to repeated shock loads.

I mix up a little 30 min epoxy, thin with a few drops of rubbing alcohol, and apply with the tip of an exacto knife or similer. Apply a little alcohol to the repair area first, helps the epoxy flow and absorb into the wood a little better.

Back