• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What wood would YEW yews FIR sprucing up your smokepoles...

WALNUT is a POPLAR choice, I wood branch out to add Larry, Moe And Curley Maple as well...
rolleyes.gif

I better SPRUCE up these puns, don't want to make an ASH of myself...

OAK, CHEERY, EBONY and ROSEWOOD are a few other hard woods that can be used to make stocks...

I had some TEAK chairs before, I bet it would make a durable gun stock...

I really like the BLACHTHORN, but the wood is usually twisted, it's a shame too...
However, they do make great walking sticks...

birdseye!!!

but then again, as with any highly figured wood, you loose some strength in the smaller cross-sections. just because wood is more expensive and gawdier, doesn't make it better(add a little glitter and the natives will pay more for it). in my work i deal with straight-grain woods all the time and have come to appreciate the structural integrity of that feature and the delicacy of construction that the extra strength allows. but i do live in birdseye country(it doesn't grow anywhere else in the world) and use it all the time and it can be very mesmerizing.

take care, daniel

Musketman, you are very punny guy.

I choose straight grain woods every time; my gune are already purdier then me.

In building my first small 36 caliber squirrel gun, I whittled the stock out of three peices of walnut, laminated. While I made a functional gun my next effort will be better looking. The Jim Chambers small Siler lock is excellent and Mark DeHaas made the barrel.

Life's a beech, and there's a scad of "walnut finished hardwood" circulating around to prove it.

When I have my fowler made (don't hold your breath) I'm having it stocked in cherry. Tiger-stripe maple can take your breath away and is a superior, stable wood for rifles, but there is something honest and wholesome about a nice cherry stock to offset an 'in-the-white' patined barrel and lock.

quote:Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
When I have my fowler made (don't hold your breath) I'm having it stocked in cherry.I seen a Cherry stock that was cut to look like a fiddle back, it was extra nice looking...

One o the fellers herebouts has hisself a Kaintuk pistol stock made from Bo'Dark, Osage Orange, Hedge; call it what ere' ya wants. But one thin' bout it, unlikes myself, the older it gits the purdier it gits. Started off kinda babycrap yallar, now it be a beyooyiful golden brown. No stainin', just a good rub down with tung oil onced in awhile.
cool.gif

Eye guess thet Tung awl wud be o k , but hit leaves a bad taste in muh mouf frum stikin muh tung ta tha stok. Besides, U got to have a likker license in this county ta doo thet kind uv kinky stuff.

They is a in depth ar tickle in tha muzzloader magnumzine this munth bout gunstockin wood.

People thet jump in tha river in Paris, France is in Seine!

Latest posts

Back