• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stoopid Hurts!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.Habermehl

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After four weeks I now have skin grown back, sort of on the back of one finger of my left hand. I had just finished a gun for a client and started casting samples of 100 each of three different sizes of .40 cal balls to try out with the gun.About mid way through the casting session I put a piece of "new"scrap lead in the pot..... CAPOOFFFF lead spatter every where including a dime sized gob on the back of my left index finger. The resulting burn was second degree and worse even though I headed for cold water within seconds. So much for 15 years of casting with no real safety lapses. I allways had used lead that had laagered in my shop for a year or two to reduce any possibility of hidden moisture. This time I failed to follow my routine with pain full results. :( Maybe relating this accident will prevent some one else from repeating my mistake. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOUR LEAD IS DRY BEFORT ADDING IT TO THE POT!

OUCH!!!Hasnt happened to me yet,and I hope it dosent.Will take double precautions now.

Every time I start thinking about retirement in a few years and taking up casting, I read something like this and it puts everything back in perspective...thank you and glad it wasn't more serious......but casting?.....no way Jose!

I cast on the covered porch.I wear gloves,safety glasses and a pair of cowboy boots when I cast.No beverages and the dogs go in the house.I try to be as safe as possible but anything can happen.

Been casting bullets for pistols (.41 Mag and .45 ACP, mostly) for 30+ years, and the only burn I've had was the result of a brain-fade. Went to knock the dross off the back of a ladle, and didn't realize that there was still some melted lead inside it. Sloshed across the back of my hand, and WOW, did that hurt! Violated two safety rules that I would NEVER have allowed my kids to violate, (1) Gloves at all times, and (2) Pay attention to what you're doing. Safety rules are there for a reason.

Like everything else, if you don't follow the rules, it's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN! Don't let us scare you off, it's a really fun hobby!

Enjoy today,

Joel

It only takes a three second lapse of commen sense. I figure it only took three seconds to pick up that piece of scrap lead and put it into the pot... plus one or two tenths of a second till the steam explosion happened. :(

To Roundball.. I will continue to cast my own balls. Had I continued to use my usual method of laagering my raw lead for a year or two and inspection before use the accident would not have happened. An impulsive act caused this accident, AKA a stupid attack.

Sorry to hear of your misshap. Hopefully it never happens again.

However if it does just for everyones info, if you can get to salt immediately (before the skin comes off) take a handfull of salt and place the burnt area in it and leave it there.

The salt will for whatever reason take away the blister, the pain after a while and usually there will be no scarring either.

Do not do this though if the skin has already come off for obvious reasons! It will burn like hell.

rabbit03

Don't give up on the thought roundball. It's lots of fun and realy produces better projectile than you might purchase.At least mine are more acurate than boughten. Just use the proper material. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Sorry about the burn...I know they hurt like crazy.
I always set the lead I will be using to refill the pot in a coffee can very near the flame on my coleman stove.I don't want it to melt,just get hot enough to evaporate any moisture that may be hiding in it...I haven't had an explosion..yet..I pray I never do..HEAL WELL!!!

Thanks for sharing and the wakeup call for getting lax on safety procedures. I am missing my ring finger on my right hand due to carelessness on my part in wearing a ring when I shouldn't have :nono:

TANSTAAFL said:
If applied to the dangers in life general, one would never get out of bed.
It's not in that category at all...I might well go jump out of a perfectly good airplace skydiving because I "wanted" to...willing to take the risk, etc.

But so far, from various auctions I average $4-$5/100 for Hornady's...and recently found I can buy top quality cast balls from Eddie May in GA, at $40//1000, so there's not enough difference in price to make casting attractive to me right now...I'd have to start dedicating time, some space, and that little risk just to save very little money...maybe when I retire in 5 years if I'm still shooting by then

I used to pour iron in a foundry and was never burnt very bad but I can't say that for nearly everyone who worked there. I am glad I don't have to do that work to eat anymore.

Walks with fire said:
I used to pour iron in a foundry and was never burnt very bad but I can't say that for nearly everyone who worked there. I am glad I don't have to do that work to eat anymore.

Many moons ago when they still called it Jr High and not Middle School (that where Hobbits go?) we had a shop poster that said it all. There were two guys sitting up on a clould with halos, wings and robes. One guy was looking Earth-ward and telling the other "I worked in a shop for thirty years and only had one accident." That and the fact that our shop teacher's nickname was "Three Fingers" kept us on our toes.

Thanks for this post. I haven't done any casting in years and was thinking about doing so again. I would never have thought about the moisture in the lead. You've provided a public service. :hatsoff:

I have another way to get hurt casting. When I first started casting I used range lead. The first pot of lead was ok but the second had a primer in it. I was casting using a coleman propane stove, full face shield, gloves and long sleeve shirt. I was back behind the cover of the stove when the pot exploded. I didn't get hurt but I had lead stuck to the ceiling of the shop. Quit using range lead and now buy hornady round balls. I still cast a lot BPCR bullets, but RBs are just more trouble to make than they cost. BTW I compete with hornady RBs and they are very accurate for cross-stick and light bench matches even without weighing them.

roundball said:
TANSTAAFL said:
If applied to the dangers in life general, one would never get out of bed.
It's not in that category at all...I might well go jump out of a perfectly good airplace skydiving because I "wanted" to...willing to take the risk, etc.

But so far, from various auctions I average $4-$5/100 for Hornady's...and recently found I can buy top quality cast balls from Eddie May in GA, at $40//1000, so there's not enough difference in price to make casting attractive to me right now...I'd have to start dedicating time, some space, and that little risk just to save very little money...maybe when I retire in 5 years if I'm still shooting by then
Is there a way to contact Eddie May in GA?

I don't cast to save money. If I wanted to save money I'd sell all my guns, quit shootin and huntin and fishin and walk to town for the mail and groceries. Maybe even jump on the wagon!!!! (YUCK) No I cast because its as much fun as shootin BP rifles, and huntin the old time way. Wish you were close, I'd give you a bunch of boughten RB that were given to me by the widow of a very close friend who didn't cast. :v The very best to you. :hatsoff:

Back