• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing muzzleloader loaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBRO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I asked this just about 2 years ago. Loaded the 54 cal TC, covered the muzzle with plastic bag and nipple with a pencil eraser.Any one else ever loaded and stored a muzzle loader? I used a patched ball.

10-19-10 05:04 PM - Post#197036
Sorry about the post.I wanted to keep my rifles ready because Whitetails are abundant on my place. I want a gun loaded and uncapped for immediate use.The thought of a lubed patch sitting on a charge for an extended time gave rise to the idea
that these plastic wads might work well in this specific situation. Your thoughts were appreciated.

Shawn

I think a number of guys do. I personally do not. The only thing in my neighborhood is Bear and the County folks get a little upset about shooting them in the vicinity of other houses. I shoot regularly once or twice a month so if I were to keep my rifles loaded, they would get shot out and reloaded regularly. For peace of mind I believe I would reload at least every six months.

I did try once to see if they would work as I believe the old timers most likely left their guns loaded.
I left my TC Hawken loaded for a week, Saturday to Saturday, with no special precautions taken. I did use an over powder wad which just seemed like the thing to do.
The gun fired as if I just loaded it. Don't know if the wad made any difference or not but it probably didn't hurt either.
I really don't make any exceptional precautions to my muzzle loaders beyond common sense. Like don't point the barrel up in a rain but a baggie over the muzzle is probably not needed either.
They always seem to shoot pretty well.

I leave mine loaded for months and months with a dry felt wad under the lubed patched ball and a clean patch over the nipple with the hammer lowered. Of course, the bore must be absolutely clean and dry when it's loaded.

Never had a problem, and have never seen the inside of a GOEX can rust.

out of curiousity i left a c&b reviolver loaded and left in a dry closet for about two years... all six fired without any hesitation or problems.

for 'immediate action' work, like bad guys coming up the stairs, i'll stick with the big dog and a 12 guage pump.

I don't know what "these" plastic wads are but if they are the plastic sabots, those things are intended for use in in-line rifles and don't work worth a damn in traditional style muzzleloaders. It all has to do with the rifling in the bore. If you feel that you must keep your muzzleloader loaded, I'd recommend that you put a dry cardboard OP wad between your powder and your patched ball. You can buy a punch from "Ohio Ramrod" on this forum at a very reasonable price and cut your own OP wads from posterboard that you can buy at Wal-Mart.

I have a couple loaded with Pyrodex that were loaded last deer season. I'll clear them when I go to the range to check sight-in for this deer season (mid Nov.). Same thing I did last year. Last year the rifles discharged normally, recoil 'may' have been slightly softer but not much; so I assume power was up there.

They were clean when loaded. This year, neither is loaded with PRB; but in the past, they have been...with the same results. I would assume that powder in contact with a lubed patch or wad would degrade slightly.

This year, one has a stainless barrel and the other is chrome lined. In the past, they've been plain steel and stainless. No problem with rust/corrosion has been seen.

ebiggs said:
Like don't point the barrel up in a rain but a baggie over the muzzle is probably not needed either.

Something over the muzzle, or a topmpion in the muzzle, probably isn't a bad idea. If a wasp builds a nest in the barrel you'd never notice it before you fired it.

Have fired guns left for up to two years loaded with no ill results.

No special precations taken. Standard PRB lubed with muzzleloading specific lube...nothing else...stored in a gun cabinet muzzle up with the hammer down. Also, fired rifles stored up to a year with conicals lubed with same type lubed and no other wad or anything...same results.

Barrel must be thuroughly cleaned before loading of course or you will end up with bigger problems than a gun that won't fire.

Enjoy, J.D.

My brother just did a garage clean out for some guy and he told my brother he could have what ever he found. He found 3 longguns including an ivestarms hawkin .50 cal. My brother dbl checked the guy said keep'm and watch out the .50 was probably still loaded. Been in the garage for 10 yrs. Bruce pulled the conical but curiousity got the best of him powder went off with 1st cap.

I normally keep at least one loaded for the entire season because I rotate guns and if I don't fire one in the woods it stays loaded until it's turn comes around again. Whew! Now I can take another breath.

I load at beginning of deer season and leave loaded until I shoot a deer or season ends. Make sure gun is clean and dry. Do not snap a cap first. I also run an oiled patch through the bore after loading. No other precautions except for safety.

left a TC Grey Hawk loaded for about 3 yrs once,I got deployed and didn;t get to hunt or be home for awhile,any way it was loaded with Pyrodex and bore butter when I set it off it was like it was freshly loaded.It had been in a safe with a golden rod for the entire time.

That's how I found out too. 20 year Navy career, lots of deployments, lots of travel. Left muzzleloaders loaded more than a few times after hunts for extended periods. Have always used Bore Butter and have never had one fail to fire.

Go figure. J.D.

When hunting season comes around and I may leave a rifle loaded for weeks at a time I wad up a bit of waxed paper (1-1/2" square +/-) and place it over the powder before the patched ball goes in. Left one 11 months that way as a test. Went off fine but hit a bit high (2" at 50 yards) from the dried out patch.

he probally ment a dirt dobber, i've bought then loaded, and they went of within one, or two caps. i seen a fellow at the range once with a new to him T/C hawken, he was gona pop a few caps and load it. well it went off, scared the manure out of him and me, he pointed it at the ground just in front of the bench, but it blew dirt sky high! so it goes without sayin' be careful, cause i was brought up that they were always loaded!

My goodness where do you leave, or store, your guns?

While at the hunting camp, we keep ours in an outside shed so that the warmth of the camp does not cause condensation in my bore which would ruin the powder charge. Spiders, daubers and other critters are a concern. I like to leave mine muzzle down and stuff an oiled cleaning patch inside the muzzle with a flap hanging out to remind me to remove. Generally the same patch that I ran down the loaded barrel to protect it after loading for the hunt.

CS

Latest posts

Back