• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing muzzleloader loaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understood, I am going to bow to more experienced hinters/shooters on that topic. :grin:
I have taken a trick from my double barrel shotgun loading method to use with my rifles.
If I leave one loaded I put the ram rod in the barrel so I know. Same as with my double barrel, I put the ramrod in the barrel I just leaded so I don't load it twice. :shocked2:

I start with a spotlessly clean barrel add powder, lubed wonder wad, lubed patchball or lubed conical. I then run a lightly lubed patch (bore butter) down to the charge to make sure a light film is protecting the bore. Then put a round piece of duct tape on end of barrel.

The nipple threads get a light coat of never seize after each cleaning, this also makes a moisture barrier.

After I cap I take a candle and further seal the base of the nipple with wax and also the rim of the cap where it contacts the nipple. I carry a candle with me while hunting

Have hunted like this in rainstorms and no miss fires. Also have left loaded like this for 3 years and shoots like a fresh load .

If I have to uncap I put piece of bicycle inner tube between the nipple and hammer

I have forgotten and left my Hawken loaded for over a year. At the range, it fired without any anomalys. I cut a 1/2" square out of an old inner tube, punched a hole in one corner and tied a sineu string through the hole, and tied the other end to the trigger guard. I place the rubber patch between the hammer and the nipple, and have never had a problem with moisture intrusion. The rubber patch falls aside when you cock the hammer.....Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I mostly shoot the off-topic, but traditional guns which need a toothpick rather than a patch to seal. :redface:

But when I DO use a caplock, I set a folded and lubed patch under the hammer to seal the nipple from moisture.

CS

I couldn't find any references to this tonight but I have read several accounts of muckets from the civil war being found in people barns and such still loaded.... Most of them still shot off fine. :hmm:
:stir: This could go to say that unless water some how gets directly into the charge it will still go off.
:idunno:

3 years and a month later I capped and fired it at my range. I had cleaned and loaded it with a dry muslin patch and 90 grd of 2F.

A while back I picked up a mule ear double over-under rifle smooth bore. This gun was made by J. Withers from Ohio in the mid-late 1800s. The rifle barrel was clear but the smooth bore had a charge in it. I used a worm to pull the unknown wadding and shot. When I poured the powder out which looked like 1ffg it lit off just like my Goex. There is no doubt that the charge would have gone off if I had been foolish enough to cap and fire it. There is no way of telling how long that barrel had been loaded but from the look of the wadding & shot I would say a very long time. The shot was uneven and oxidized and the same wadding was over powder and shot which looked like tow or possibly hornet nest very hard packed. I wish I had saved it.

I responded once originally. But will add another step/precaution I take when loading for a long season. I completely clean the bore and even squirt carburetor cleaner into the touch hole. After drying I then load. Once loaded I lightly oil the bore.
For perc shooters never, never-ever, pop a cap then load. Complete cleaning is sufficient. If you pop a cap you create moisture attracting and corrosive crud. Not good.

I read this thread and was not going to reply, but I have a hard time passing this without comment. First I was surprised that all of the reply's were of the same mind, you all think it's OK to leave a rifle loaded, without the cap, not just for a short time, but for years??? I don't suppose that any damage is done to the barrel, or if there was it would be in the rear of the barrel and who cares about corrosion of the breech plug threads anyway?
This could never apply to one of my rifles as I actually shoot more often than annually.
I cannot imagine anyone leaving a quality barrel loaded as the potential for rust, corrosion, and a possible accident is a real concern. I always empty any ML rifle and wash/rinse the barrel with hot soapy water, and oil the entire rifle carefully. This is not meant as a criticism as you should do what you want, just amazement.

I've mentioned this before but I suppose it won't hurt to do it again. :hmm:

Several years ago, the Bevel Brothers wrote a monthly article in the NMLRA's MuzzleBlasts magazine. Their articles answered questions readers had sent in and also the results of various tests they had conducted.

Anyway, they decided to test the idea of leaving muzzleloading barrels loaded for long periods of time.

To do this, they took a new barrel and cut it into short lengths, breeched and vented each of them like a flintlock.

Then they loaded each barrel with patch and ball using some different lubes on the patches and using real black powder.

They took these loaded barrels down into their basement and placed them on a shelf.
I should mention the basement was one of those typical basements that's always damp and humid.

No doubt the basement was probably a worst case but they didn't really want to see how long a loaded barrel could be kept in a dry desert like I live in.

I don't remember the exact length of time the barrels lay there but I think it was about a year.

When they did finally remember them and got them down they tried pulling a ball with a ball screw. No dice.

They then removed the breech plugs, dumped the now clumped powder and tried pushing the ball out with a ramrod. No way.

They eventually ended up using a steel rod, a 2 pound hammer and an anvil to support the barrel while they whacked the rod. It took repeated blows to dislodge the patched balls.

The bore where the powder had been was badly rusted. The bore under the patch had corroded so badly the patch was bonded in place which explains why they had to use a 2 pound hammer to get it to move. I guess the patch lubes must have broken down or dried because as I recall, the various patch lubes didn't seem to make a difference.

Like I say, this test was done in worst case humid conditions but I bet you couldn't pay either of the Bevel Brothers enough money to get them to load one of their prizewinning target rifles and store it for any length of time.

That's good to know. I had always heard that it did not hurt to leave it loaded as long as it was never fired. I would still not leave it loaded even if it didn't hurt except for short periods of time like during hunting season.

Some have been left loaded for a century or more and fired with no problem. I might have one loaded for two or three months and occasionally a little longer. Never had a problem of rust or FTF. It depends, perhaps, on the lube, original cleanliness of the bore and storage conditions. Black powder isn't corrosive, only the fouling; so as long as the gun hasn't been fired it will most likely do just fine, as mine have.

What I have against leaving a M`loader loaded is that the next Person who might buy or use it does not know it is loaded!!I bought a used CVA Bobcat. Snapped a couple of caps, loaded it up and it would not go off. So, pulled the Nipple and dribbled in some 4F and re-installed the Nipple. When it went off it just about spun Me around!! The Target showed a Roundball hole and a sideways Conical hole!! My fault for not checking to see if it wasn`t loaded,lesson learned! So Please, if left loaded, put a big note on the Ramrod stating that it is....

I agree. Black powder is not corrosive and if it is in a sealed container it will last darn near forever.

I think the main things that caused the Bevel Brothers barrels to rust is black powder does absorb moisture from the air and once it gets at all damp the moisture can attack the container.

Note that in their experiment the BB had vented the barrels so the powder was basically not in a sealed container.
The patch, being cloth will also absorb moisture and it can transport it throughout itself.

IMO, if they would have plugged the vent hole and stored the barrels in a fairly dry room the results of their experiment might have been much different.

When I leave mine loaded (some times a year or more) I put a "LOADED" tag on the trigger guard.

Years ago when anyone handled a firearm they checked to see if it was loaded. Now a days it is assumed the firearm is unloaded.I know that's wrong but that is just the way it seems to me. For example if someone comes to your home and sees a nice firearm and asks if they can look at it, they swing it up to their shoulder, look down the barrel, etc.
Oh, I say, by the way, it's loaded. (even though it isn't)
What!!! Are you Nuts!!!.
Just kidding say I.
The point is, now a days I think it best to keep all guns unloaded. If you do leave a muzzle loader loaded put the ramrod in the bore- it at least may tip off another person.

I kept a percussion revolver loaded for years with no ill effects. But it was fully loaded with the cap on and ball on top with no patch. and lube over the ball.Went off three years later like a charm.

I guess Ill throw my small .2 cents in..I wont do it and don't like doing it BUT I will say that I personally cleaned and saw a modern muzzleloader that was left loaded for 11 months(stored in a safe) that had absolutely no damage/rust what so ever.

That would definitely apply in some cases but not in mine. There's no one around or in my home that is allowed to view, much less handle, any of my MLs. They will also not be going to anyone else as long as I am on the right side of the dirt. If I have one loaded I know it and don't forget it; and any loaded ones are fired by the end of the season if not during. Plus I tell everyone that ALL my guns are loaded whether they are or not. I constantly tinker with mine and swab the bores frequently (OCD, you see). I guess it depends on one's situation and mindset. Not for all, maybe, but fine for many. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back