• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight or Swamped for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundball,thanks for the info. Stumpkiller, I thought about one of those english rifles but I don't think it would fit me. I'm long and lanky and I think its a little to short and I would probably need a little more drop. I was thinking about a 38" swamped barrel in .54 or .58 in a virginia or lancaster. And I'd like it to be a flint as long as it had reliable ignition. The weather can get bad up there in a hurry. I have seen some post on here about wind playing havock with flintlocks,but it would be cool to hunt up there with one. And this gives me an excuse for another rifle. Just looking for the right one and I'm open to suggestions.

DEW said:
"...I have seen some post on here about wind playing havock with flintlocks..."

Have to remember to keep posts like that in perspective...they are what I call "one in a million" type posts...not even vaquely, remotely, close to being representative of day in/day out, month in/month out, year in/year out Flintlock operations.

As one example, I've been using Flintlocks for exactly 10 years now...year round hunting and weekend range sessions...all four seasons of weather including wind and rain and I have yet to have a problem with a Flintlock's operation.

People the world over used Flintlocks year round every day for centuries so its not rocket science...we all just have to learn a few basics...go get your Flintlock and enjoy!

:thumbsup:

Back