• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange Day for Me in the Woods.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been pokin' around the woods ever since I was six yrs. old. Lotsa thoughts and 70+ yrs. of memories about the experiences. My beloved son and daughter have both gone on to be with Jesus , so I have no earthly legacy to mentor. My hunting buddy of 50+ yrs. , has turned 81 , and we still go to camp . Our legacy stands alone , in the number of deer taken. I am fortunate to have met a fellow hunter , as dedicated as I was. I met my hunting buddy in a m/l shoot off. We had tied in the offhand shoot , and I went to meet the other competitor. He won due to he was shooting a .45 cal. , and I was shooting a larger cal. ball , both shots were centered , but club rules said , the most centered ball wins. I feel I was the ultimate winner , 'cause i met a life long friend and brother. His son became "my other son" , and now , his 17 yr. old son , can come to camp , as well. This should be fun. By the way , I too have lost a parsal of my desire to kill animals , except for the Pa. mega buck that got away in a wind storm first day of the season last year. I want a rematch , first day this year. ........oldwood

This is normal.

I was a dedicated Deer Hunter since the age of 16. I started hunting them exclusively with muzzleloaders in 1982. Around 1994 I think, I shot a small buck and when I found him, I was overcome with a sense of remorse. At that moment I decided that I had killed my last deer.

I spent the next twenty-five years focused on waterfowling and upland bird hunting. I arranged leave and later vacation times around it. Around 2018 I was sitting in a duck blind waiting for legal shooting time, when a large buck appeared out of the swamp and boldly walked along the berm. I had an adrenaline rush and thrill that I had not experienced since I was a kid. I started hunting deer again with a muzzleloader and also a BPCR. Have a taken a couple, most I let go by. But I enjoy seeing them.

I think it is just a normal progression that we experience as we get older.

I lost the desire to kill anymore deer in 1996, waterfowl in 2018 and upland game in 2020. I guess I just decided I like to watch them more in their surroundings than on my table. Just something that happens to many at a certain point in life. I still will go out looking for upland birds but basically to give the dog exercise and let her work. I don't shoot if I see something. She still enjoys it!

I live for deer hunting as my main draw, but getting older the desire just to kill one has greatly diminished, now of days I hunt for the enjoyment of being out in the woods. I don't have to hunt to eat so I concentrate on the bigger racked deer, and then it must be a really good deer. So far, I have been fortunate in this self-imposed regulating. It never was or will be a I am mad at them situation as an excuse to kill one.

At 76 I may or may not kill a deer every year, I have to be just in the right mood to kill one, more often than not I talk myself out of pulling the trigger and the season slips away before I do.

My sister-in-law is trying to make it on a $6000 a year SSI check, being a country gal, she loves to have a deer in her freezer, if I do kill one, the first goes to her, processed and packaged. I have put a deer in her freezer almost every year for the last 40 years, I wasn't always the killer but was able to round up a deer for her from her grandsons or one of my friends.

My only red meat is deer, I often call one of my dedicated killer friends and have them get me a deer for the freezer. they enjoy killing them and kill more than they need, I enjoy eating what they kill, a win, win for both of us.

Glad this post showed up because for years I've wondered what the heck was happening to me and more so, HOW it could happen.

I have been an insanely devoted hunter for over 50 years. Bow Hunting only until the year 2000 when I added traditional muzzleloading. I am a life member of two state bow hunting organizations and was a Director in one of them. I was also a volunteer field representative for what is now the U.S. Sportsman's Alliance. I hunted multiple states. Net, I was a hunting addict.

Over the last 7 years or so I found my desire to kill waning. It's been a real internal struggle since hunting has defined so much of my life.

Now, I'd rather just take a leisurely stroll in the countryside with the dogs. I still enjoy a few small game hunts in the late season when the woods have emptied of all other hunters.

My wife has encouraged me to get a good camera and take up nature photography. Haven't gone there yet because it seems like what I want now is just no pressure and no expectations. Just enjoy nature and go home when I'm ready, memories intact.

Glad this post showed up because for years I've wondered what the heck was happening to me and more so, HOW it could happen.

I have been an insanely devoted hunter for over 50 years. Bow Hunting only until the year 2000 when I added traditional muzzleloading. I am a life member of two state bow hunting organizations and was a Director in one of them. I was also a volunteer field representative for what is now the U.S. Sportsman's Alliance. I hunted multiple states. Net, I was a hunting addict.

Over the last 7 years or so I found my desire to kill waning. It's been a real internal struggle since hunting has defined so much of my life.

Now, I'd rather just take a leisurely stroll in the countryside with the dogs. I still enjoy a few small game hunts in the late season when the woods have emptied of all other hunters.

My wife has encouraged me to get a good camera and take up nature photography. Haven't gone there yet because it seems like what I want now is just no pressure and no expectations. Just enjoy nature and go home when I'm ready, memories intact.
One of the reasons I run a few game cameras I like the pictures of the daily activities of the wood's animals.

Went out hunting this afternoon here in NW Missouri. Our regular Firearm Deer Season is currently open, and I elected to take my Pedersoli Frontier Rifle in .54. Hunting a remote piece of public ground where only muzzleloaders are allowed. Walked way back in the woods and found a spot that looked promising, and sat on a handy fallen log that was up against a tree. Beautiful day, and as far as I could tell, I was the only hunter around. Half an hour after sitting, two does came ambling by, and I watched them wander off after several minutes. An hour later as I was looking off down the holler, I saw a large, majestic 10 point buck headed my way. I first saw him about 130 yards out, and my heart started pounding as he came ever closer. I watched him for several minutes, and he eventually came within 20 yards. He was a large mature buck, with a wide spread and high antlers, a rarity on public land. As I watched him and positioned myself for the can't miss shot, something strange happened. I have been a lifelong hunter, taking many deer over the decades, but today was different. As I watched him eat acorns, totally unaware of my presence, I was overcome by a desire to not kill him. I went out today with every intention of killing a nice buck if the opportunity came. However, as I sat there watching him, I was actually saddened by the thought of him being dead, especially as he was just enjoying the day eating his lunch. I lowered the hammer on my rifle, and just watched him for several more minutes, until he finally meandered out of sight.

Don't know what happened, but I do know I have killed my last animal. Not turning woke or going vegan, nor am I being critical of those who do hunt, but all my desire to ever shoot another critter died today. I shot my rifle into a stump and cleaned it this evening. I will be out in the woods again tomorrow, rifle in hand, but it will not be loaded. Hopefully I will see my new "friend" again. Getting old does weird things to a fella.
Not weird at all. I quit shooting deer when a dying little buck looked in my eyes, then his girlfriend looked at him and into my eyes from ten foot away. I will not shoot another deer, ever. I have killed enough animals, am not hungry. It was just my time to quit. Y'all keep hunting, it's a great sport and a must have for several reasons. Just not for me. 🦨 Pastor D :rolleyes: retired

Last edited:
There certainly seems to be a common thread here amongst those of us who've changed views over the years re: taking large game. On the rare occasion when I go 'hunting', which amounts to walking out my back door, I've come to refer to these 'hunts' as "taking my gun for a walk". Those days of needing venison are thankfully long gone and I've long since tired of mucking out chest cavities. I have no qualm with those who do and fact used to drive for friends behind our place without even carrying a gun with me. If I had to hunt I would, without hesitation. As it stands now I will be participating in tomorrows opening day here in NY as I've done for many years by standing out by the barn with a smoke and my morning coffee listening to the shots and guessing where they might be from and who might be doing the shooting. One shot= a kill, two shots spaced out= a kill, three shots in quick succession= a moron. Those answers will come to me as friends that hunt drop by and we swap notes in the day's that follow and that works for me. Still, I get my license every year and check out my rifle beforehand just in case. In truth, I shot my last four deer in the 90's with a .54 flintlock so why I continue to do this defies explanation. Rest easy PastorB, you're not alone. The rest of you guys still at it. Go get'm ! Cheers

I hunted for quite a few years. Kept hunting with some success, life changed as raising a family, coaching, helping and folks asked me if I hunted. Not any more just not the priority. Now hunting birds, walking, excercise, dogs, nature just seems to fit me better these days. Even now just enjoy a good day outside watching time go by in retirement. A good day comes in many forms and for me it does not have to be meat on the table anymore. Just being here to enjoy what I have helped create with family seems to be enough.

I hunted for quite a few years. Kept hunting with some success, life changed as raising a family, coaching, helping and folks asked me if I hunted. Not any more just not the priority. Now hunting birds, walking, excercise, dogs, nature just seems to fit me better these days. Even now just enjoy a good day outside watching time go by in retirement. A good day comes in many forms and for me it does not have to be meat on the table anymore. Just being here to enjoy what I have helped create with family seems to be enough.
So nicely put! Oh how I wish we still had 'birds' here to hunt. Foxes, coyotes, fishers, etc. have exploded here in my area so that any bird nesting on the ground is doomed. Coupled with a tidal wave of monied urbanites after 9/11 from NYC and their clearing and building executing the coup de gras have essentially eliminated those remaining pheasant, grouse, and woodcock. Sad.

I haven't hunted in the last 3 years due to injuries to my right hand in an auto accident. We actually need more hunters in this county. You can take 4 deer on your tag and no limit on how many additional tags you can buy. The sad part is I usually have 4 or 5 deer hit on the road in front of my house, they are usually so mangled that they are not usable, what a waste.

This year, I watched a yearling meet up with an older doe. They spotted each other & ran to meet up. They shared a moment of happiness as they nuzzled each other & then fed together for a while until it got dark. It was cool to see them have such an emotional reaction to each other & I figured that they were probably a mother-daughter. Whatever it was, they obviously knew and loved each other a lot. I'm not yet at the point where I won't pull the trigger when I'm out hunting. But the day that I stop having a tinge of remorse over taking a life is the day that somebody needs to take my guns away.

Last edited:
I’ve passed on deer for some reason, don’t know why. If the population grows a bit here I’ll take one to thin them out, but I don’t hunt every year. Coyotes? I’ll sit all day in winter temps to kill one of those nasty things!

Have not killed a deer in years. Lost the desire. That said, I often commute through heavily suburban areas into Philadelphia. Unlike where I live there is no hunting pressure worth mentioning on the deer populations. Lots of road kills which speaks of lots of damaged cars and likely people too. People with expensive gardens/landscaping in those areas have taken to illegally killing deer. A .22 unmentionable will do it and the local strip mall winds up with a carcass in the dumpster. Or a wounded deer needing put down by an LEO.

Back