• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuffins for my bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeagle

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a couple of shot and powder measures, some pan brushes,vent picks, and a flint wallet that go with my bags.
100_0804.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0809.jpg

100_0805-1.jpg

The pan brush and pick are antler turned on a lathe as are the spouts on the shot bags.
The powder measures are white tail tines. Thanks for taking a look.

Thanks Wattsy, as you can see I've kinda gotten hooked on working on the lathe, it's alot like therapy. :). Only bad thing is I'm running out of antlers and tips to play with.

Beautiful work! :thumbsup:

How colors antlers? I use onion skin, but the color is unstable...

You aint kidding Swamy. A great sense of accomplishment, seeing it in your mind and then giving birth to it so to speak. That's one of the things that I feel is so rich with this forum. I just love looking at all the neat and beautiful things that the guys here have created. :thumbsup:

Pc.knife, thanks for the compliment. Onion skins will give a light yellow to brown color, depending on the strength of the solution and amount of time the object is allowed to soak.
When I color antler I use Feiberlig leather dye. I leave the surface a little rough and apply 1 or 2 coats as needed. Then I use steel wool or scotch brite pads or similar abrasive to mellow the color so it is not as dark. This also puts a smooth finish to antler. I'm sure there are other methods, this works for me.
If I'm coloring horn ( cow, bison, ect. ) I use Rit dyes or homemade dyes from plants or vegetables. They seem to work better, maybe because the antler is harder or more dense.
After viewing some of your photos I can see you are an accomplished craftsman, good luck with your future projects. :thumbsup:

Back