• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stupid Question-Buying a Kit Versus Parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdbritt

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this already but here it is anyway. Is it better overall to buy a kit with everything needed in it or to buy individual parts, maybe from different sources, when your making a rifle. I was thinking it might be cheaper and spread out the cost over a longer period of time to buy parts. This would also make it easier to get approval my financial examiner(i.e. wife, LOL). :haha: What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks, Warren :v

My guess would be that a kit would be better for an inexperienced builder (though some aren't much more than a bunch of parts), and would tend to be more consistant with a particular style.

Budget is often a deciding factor in any purchase, but I'd personally rather save the money than buy piece-wise.

Other people with more experience will surely chime in.

If you are a beginner, and want the best chance of ending up with a nice gun, think Jim Chambers kits. Top of the line components that will be correct for the gun you choose, and his kits are easier to build than most. Much more is done on his, than the cheaper kits.

I agree with widget.

It is seldom cheaper to buy several different parts from several different sources because the shipping costs can easily run more than any savings in the part cost.

Also, with some of the "kits" available they come pre-inletted for the exact parts the kit supplies.

That said, I seldom buy the full "kits" from one source because I try to duplicate existing guns and the kits offered by the suppliers seldom match the style of lock, trigger guard, butt plate, side plate etc that I want to use.
In these cases I often ask for the stock to be shipped without having the lock mortice cut etc.

For the beginner though I recommend just getting the parts that the supplier intended to be used.

If you have the knowledge, references, time and the many different catalogs needed, by all means buy the components from the various suppliers. This can be a very enjoyable undertaking and after all, building MLers is supposed to be a pleasant experience? As was said though....shipping has become a major expense and the economics of shipping small orders can be costly. As was also said....buying separate parts that aren't even partly inletted {located} can be a good learning experience, but can also be a major headache depending on the builder's skill level and experience. If a complete "kit" isn't to your liking, why not go all the way and start w/ a blank and parts from different suppliers? I started this way in 1978 and the blank ended up heating the house, although the parts were used for my 2nd attempt....Fred

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Kind of what I thought too but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Warren :v

There is one advantage of buying Chamber's locks directly from Jim Chambers, rather than from some other distributer. If you buy directly from Jim Chambers, you know it was put together by the best, and he gives a lifetime warrenty on the lock parts. If you buy from another source, it might be less expensive, but it may have been put together from a kit by someone who is not as experienced, and if put together from a kit, it may not have the lifetime warrenty.

I buy parts from many different sources in order to build correct rifles. My beef lately has been butt plates and locks. Price isn't an issue with me but, You can space it out this way. Sand cast parts are one third the cost of wax. They just require more work (They also look better finished). Ordering an Ed Rayle barrel will take any where from 1-6 mos. etc. etc.

I would highly recommend a kit. Laying out the rifle pattern on a blank block of wood is a tough job to do right. Secondly, have you ever inletted a barrel channel from scratch? That is a tougher job. My point is that if you buy a stock blank, buy it with the major inletting already done. ...So by the time you pay for a pre-inletted stock blank, you've probably already exceed the cost of a kit.

I'm with Fred and John- buy the parts if you want to make something that is unique, has specific dimensions, etc, and you have the abililty and experience to build from a blank. Most folks are happy to build a "Haines", a "York", an "Early Virginia", a "Marshall rifle", a Leman, a Hawken or a "Tennessee". If a good kit offering will suit your needs then by all means this is the most convenient way to go and saves time and work and money. I personally love planning and executing a "scratch build" and have parts for 6 such projects right now. Just need the time!

flehto said:
.....why not go all the way and start w/ a blank and parts from different suppliers? I started this way in 1978 and the blank ended up heating the house, although the parts were used for my 2nd attempt....Fred

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I'll bet that there's more than one builder that has done that! Just part of the learning process. :haha:

Back