• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SturdyTradition pocket knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:( My daily carry knife of over a decade Seems lost. Three weeks ago we locked out the redimix plant and I was climbing around gantries & on top of belts lubing gear boxes. End of the day my knife was gone, it was a modern knife with a pocket clip & my gray knife must have slipped off into that world of gray :(

We locked out again a few days ago & I was able to look for it, to no avail, there is a good chance it is now part of a sidewalk or footing.

:yakyak: Anyway, I need a replacement daily carry pocket knife. I'd like to find a traditional (anything pre 1840)replica that will hold up to the riggers of daily use.

I'm open to suggestions. I need a sturdy working knife and I'm hoping some of you have found a gem amongst the many many offerings on the market.

I had $100 in my lost knife & would like to try to not go too far above that mark. 3 3/4" - 4 1/4" blade would work best for me.

Basically no one makes a pre 1840 type folding knife, other than a scant few custom knifemakers. Oh, I guess there are a couple of Pakistani/Indian made 6-foot-away-reproductions available, but that's about it.

Lots of "traditional" knives available, though (meaning late 19th through 20th century style). Though for the most part, the best quality "modern" knives are all from 20+ years ago... Still, a few good new ones can be had.

I've been carrying an Opinel "garden knife" in my pocket. It's definitely not a prybar or a chisel, but that's not what a pocketknife is for. :wink: Unlike with the standard Opinel, I can open the "garden knife" one handed, which is a nice feature.

My "work knife" is a folding utility knife that actually belongs to my work. MY work knife is a Leatherman Wave multitool.... :grin:

There has been the same Leatherman Wave on my belt every day for the last 7 years and 3 months. On the third pouch, I finally made my own out of 8 oz strap leather. Hope this one will last a while.

I know the feeling. I lost my everyday 'user' a couple years ago. Had it for about 15 years, like losing a friend. Do some searching of custom knife makers. That avocation is much larger than our ml madness, there are many out there. You will find a good one no doubt. But be prepared to pay :shocked2: . Personally, I wouldn't want to risk losing one of those. :shake: Oh, well, it's only yer money. :wink:

Well I found a knife that Was made in our timeframe I'll contact some knife makers and see if it can be made for less then hart stopping money $ :shocked2: $

I'm already working on ways to justify the cost :haha: lets see my lost knife got used at least every other day for ten years, so it cost about 5 cents per day of use, add in ten year of inflation and I can spend :rotf:

Guess Ill post in craftsmen and see if any of our knife makes do folders?

Totw has 3 folders for sale under "Early American folding knives". None are locking of course and i've no idea of their quality but the prices are right for just trying one out at under 20.00 apiece.

I'm almost tempted to try making my own. But the better half seems to think I should "AT SOME POINT" finish a project, ANY!! project. and that "some point" should come BEFORE I start a new project.

The hole Idea sounds :youcrazy: to me, however I like her cooking and there was some mention of rat poison in the food... :idunno: so I guess I might try this finish a project thing, crazy though it may seem.

This one was made by Idaho knife works, they call it the "French Trapper" A very sturdy knife. I've had mine for about 5 years now.

ftp.jpg

I've a similar affliction where i love the IDEA of a project, the planning and assembling parts part... but i'm so-so at best when it comes down to actually getting started. So i understand :grin:

Some day at my estate sale someone will say.." sure liked to collect kits didn't he?" :doh:

My favorite lost knife story. My brother had given me a nice folding buck knife for Christmas. Springtime I was fishing in my little rubber raft. Set my knife on the paddle blade laying across the raft and spaced out a little. Well, time to move to a different spot so I picked up the paddle....Bloop! I wondered what that sound was? 15 minutes later when I needed my knife again I figured it out. :idunno:

I agree completely. Almost lost a finger once to a lockblade that didn't lock..and have sliced myself more than once with swiss army type knives that closed while using them. Tried to learn from those early mistakes and haven't cut myself in many years now but i use good quality locking blades about exclusively. Far from PC as mentioned in the OP but for the most part i carry Kershaws.

Sorry about the loss of your knife. I have a medium sized Swiss Army Knife made by Victorinox that I have carried every day since 1986 and would be devastated if it were ever lost. We have been through a lot together. It is the Huntsman model, and has been so handy that I have another spare one that is new in the box, sharpened, and ready to go in the event some disaster befalls the one I have carried so long.
I am not aware of any pre - 1840 folding or lockblade knife knife that would make a good and safe every day carry knife (EDC).
In addition to that afore-mentioned Swiss knife, I also carry one of two Benchmade lockblade folders that I can unhesitatingly recommend.
A medium - sized Swiss Army Knife is never a mistake in my opinion. The more one carries it, the more uses one finds for it; especially the scissors and screwdriver blades . I carry the Benchmade lockblade folder for the one handed opening feature and do most of my cutting with it as well.

Again, my condolences and wish you luck in your quest.

Wick Ellerbe (regular around here) makes a penny knife that would be more accurate than 90 plus % of the other "period correct" folders. Penny knives are correct east or west. William Clark used one and it is stamped MT. I don't know if anyone knows what the MT stands for, possibly Missouri Territory when he was Governor in the 1830's.
Most of the reproductions don't have the right blade taper from shoulder to point, the scales aren't period, the nail nick is just ground like modern knives, etc. etc. The stamp marks aren't correct.

I guess I've lost at least a wheelbarrow full over time. My Grandfather used to give me a new knife every time I saw him starting when I was a 5yo. I used to be very hard on knives and have ruined maybe a hundred. I have worn out about the same number. I now have about 50 of all persuasions, some not so good and some worse. Most given to me, some found. My always carry now is an Oldtimer about 10yo. If my pants are on my knife is on.

I have been carrying a pocketknife daily since I was about 13 years old (1969). Am proud to say I have only lost one, and found it sticking up out of the mud and manure in the barn lot about a year later. It was a Queen Steel brand 3 blade, and was still in fine shape.
I think one of the keys to not losing knives is to avoid the smaller models. With the larger ones, it is more noticeable when it is not in your pocket when leaving home or walking away from a project where the knife was recently being used. Almost all the people I have known who are always losing knives habitually carry the very small ones.

My Dad's hunting knife was a Case 3 blade folding puchased about 1939. Always carried in front pocket. Never used much. My Dad was not a great hunter. He did kill a few deer and turkeys but most days came home empty. He lost his knife several times but always found it some how. Last time he lost it was on a Little North Mountain VA. squirrel hunt in late fall. Dad had cleaned some squirrels,laid his knife on a log to wash his hands in the creek and walked off. Next spring he was back turkey hunting, looked up the log and reclaimed his knife. Don't know which of his kids has the knife now, GGS Kyle (20) may be the owner. Hope so---- he is a winner and will do it proud.

A medium - sized Swiss Army Knife is never a mistake in my opinion. The more one carries it, the more uses one finds for it; especially the scissors and screwdriver blades . I carry the Benchmade lockblade folder for the one handed opening feature and do most of my cutting with it as well.

I have so many knives that I couldn't even estimate how many. The one knife I couldn't be without is a Swiss Army knife that you mentioned with scissors, screw drivers and tooth pick. It rest in my front pocked and gets used multiple times a day. A medium size Kershaw one hand open is clipped in my back pocket for quick cutting jobs. I couldn't get through the day without one or both of these knives.

I've given my oldest Son several pocket knives including his grandpa's BS knife. He doesn't carry any of them. He's in his 50's and doesn't own a handgun either, where did I go wrong. :idunno:

On all the multiple little tools of a Swiss Army knife, some of them are actually period correct. Sheffield was turning out such knives pre-1840. Some are shown in the 1816 Smith's Key (Catalog).

Latest posts

Back