• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sudden accuracy loss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the advice above is good. Just make sure he changes one variable at a time so he figures out exactly what it is that fixes the problem. The main thing is that something he is doing has changed. Could be as little as cleaning patch thickness, cleaning patch moisture, patch thickness, patch lube type, patch lube amount, maybe the fire channel is a bit clogged, different box of RBs since store bought ones tend to not be vey consistent, different batch/brand/granulation of powder, maybe a nick on the sights . There's all kinds of things that could be causing it, but the only thing we know for sure is that SOMETHING has changed. He has to find it and fix it, and the accuracy will be back.

Lonegun1894 said:
All the advice above is good. Just make sure he changes one variable at a time so he figures out exactly what it is that fixes the problem. The main thing is that something he is doing has changed. Could be as little as cleaning patch thickness, cleaning patch moisture, patch thickness, patch lube type, patch lube amount, maybe the fire channel is a bit clogged, different box of RBs since store bought ones tend to not be vey consistent, different batch/brand/granulation of powder, maybe a nick on the sights . There's all kinds of things that could be causing it, but the only thing we know for sure is that SOMETHING has changed. He has to find it and fix it, and the accuracy will be back.

Agreed. One thing at a time. :thumbsup:

I have to agree with what the others have said about the patch thickness .005, especially if they are prelubed. If they are that type, who knows how long they could have been setting on the shelf before being bought, if that is indeed the case. Who knows? All the above mentioned should be checked out one thing at a time until the problem could possibly be narrowed down to one. I would definitely try to retrieve one of the shot patches and see if it is burning through due to being degrated or to thin. Respectfully, cowboys1062

Zonie said:
scottprice said:
My brother has a Lyman Deerstalker and was always able to shoot about 1.5" at 50 yards with 90gr of powder, .490 balls and .005 patches.... Now, for some reason he cant keep it inside 6" at the same distance.

We have tried dropping powder charge to 70, then 80gr, tried .010 patches, .495 balls and different combinations of those changes. I also shot his gun and my groups were the same..

**for comparison, i was shooting clovers at 50 yards with my GPR, so its not the shooter....very confused

any advice?

Somehow, after reading your post, I get the feeling your brothers good shooting and poor shooting with the same components is due to the patches.

I'd say that due to you particular patch thickness....lead fouling could be the culprit....thin patches can blow apart or burn up on the way outa the barrel leaving lead deposits in the barrel rifling....after a while those deposits can decrease accuracy as they fill up the rifling....just something to consider... :v

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been following this thread with interest and there have been many good suggestions.

Thinking like a Team Armourer and if a shooter came up to me and said accuracy suddenly went haywire, the first thing I would ask is "What have you CHANGED since the rifle last shot accurately?" It could be patch thickness or even different maker or type of cloth, it could be the shooter changed to a different make of percussion cap, it could be a different powder - even if in the same granulation, it could be a different powder measure, if they don't cast their own balls - it could be slightly different ball size even if they got them from the same supplier, etc., etc., etc.

If the shooter says he/she does not know and does not know when the last time the nipple was changed, then the first thing I would suggest is a new nipple - as some of us have already mentioned. I would also strongly suggest the shooter think seriously about what he/she may have changed while shooting the rifle more. It is not unusual that a shooter thinks of something they changed while doing more shooting and can identify the problem. Some times one of their shooting buddies can identify something different they are doing.

If that does not bring something up, then I very much agree that changing one thing at a time is the best way to nail down what may be wrong.

Gus

I'm guessing part of his cleaning regime has changed,, maybe someone told him it's a good idea to "season" the bore, or he sued some oil to protect the bore,,
Nothing wrong with oil in the bore, but it all has to be cleaned out,, spotless clean, before a muzzle loader is shot again. It can lead to some hard fouling

Latest posts

Back