• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sudjestions for accuracy? Cabin fever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Cabin fever is already setting in.Going to be shooting against a few guys from work with are Scoped T/C's at 100 yards using PRB,shooting three groups of five shots for the smallest group wins.We all agreed not to swab the barrel after each shot only between groups.Need to know whats the best way to get the best accuracy from a T/C Hawken with a .40 cal. 38 in. barrel setup?What powder is going to be the most consistant is geox FFg going to be better then pyrodex RS,or is the Swiss powder even better or another powder?Thinking on using wad behind PRB,and being this shoots late next month its going to be cold, was going to mix some sort of oil to keep the patch lubed better.Putting a Hot Shot nipple on the rifle to help with a more consistant backpreasure.And I have a Davis trigger installed and its set to around 4oz..

My suggestion is to get a month jump on them and shoot as much as you can, testing all those variables you just described. Each gun is different, so what works for one, may not work for another. Most likely, the person who shoots the most often will win.

sjf said:
What powder is going to be the most consistant is geox FFg going to be better then pyrodex RS,or is the Swiss powder even better or another powder?

It is my opinion that you may get better stot to shot consistantcy with FFFg powder in a .40 caliber, it burns cleaner than FFg.

My accuracy load for my .40 is 55 gr Swiss ffg with a Hornady swaged .395 and .020 teflon coated patch, this is the load I use to compare all other loads against, the next best is heavy blue denim .018 to .020 with a .400 cast ball lubed with MOS with 55 gr ffg Swiss these groups were almost the same, with the teflon and hornady just a little bit smaller, The group can be covered with a nickle at 50 yds. I have both GM barrel and Rice and the load works as well in each gun. When teflon patch is used you must clean between shots so I would go with the denim.
Longball 58

In a 40 cal I would think 3F Goex would be what you want to use. Bore butter will let you shoot more times with out cleaning. I'd recommend you weight your charges ahead of time on a loading scale. Put the preweighted charges in 35 MM film canisters or plastic tubes. Cut your patches at the muzzle. If you use precut patches and do not get them centered it can cause a flyer. I'd also recommend you weight your round balls and pick out a lot that is very close to the same weight for all the balls you plan to use for the match. Let us know if that helps.

sjf said:
Cabin fever is already setting in.Going to be shooting against a few guys from work with are Scoped T/C's at 100 yards using PRB,shooting three groups of five shots for the smallest group wins.We all agreed not to swab the barrel after each shot only between groups.Need to know whats the best way to get the best accuracy from a T/C Hawken with a .40 cal. 38 in. barrel setup?What powder is going to be the most consistant is geox FFg going to be better then pyrodex RS,or is the Swiss powder even better or another powder?Thinking on using wad behind PRB,and being this shoots late next month its going to be cold, was going to mix some sort of oil to keep the patch lubed better.Putting a Hot Shot nipple on the rifle to help with a more consistant backpreasure.And I have a Davis trigger installed and its set to around 4oz..
I would use FFFG Swiss with a 40. But maybe FFG
I was testing 130 grain picket bullets in a 40 yesterday with FFG Swiss and shot about 8-10 rounds with no problems using neatsfoot oil for patch lube.
Trying to see if I can get it to shoot without resorting to making a guide starter.
If you have a good measure and use it wisely weighing charges is not necessary unless in a very competitive match, even then I think uniform pressure in seating the ball might be more important.
Your mileage may vary.
Longevity may be hurt by "replica" powders.
Swiss will foul less and give best accuracy in most guns.
Dan

Thanks for all the great info everyone.Gives me alot of different things to try and practice.The only powder besides pyrodex that I can obtain locally is goex and well get goex FFFg,would like to get some swiss though.Seating the patch off center may explain some flyer's Im getting.Try some different patching material, taking a trip to Walmart's fabric section with my calipers to see what I can come up with.Again Thanks :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Idaho PRB said:
My suggestion is to get a month jump on them and shoot as much as you can, testing all those variables you just described. Each gun is different, so what works for one, may not work for another. Most likely, the person who shoots the most often will win.

DITTO. :thumbsup:

Back