• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suitable Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayman49

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm mainly a shotgun shooter, but with good hunting on my door step I thought I'd give it a go. What I have in mind is an underhammer (for it's simplicity). So guys, tell me what's out there and what you think of them, also a suitable cal in conical to use on dear, pig & goat?

Clayman,
There are a few underhammers out there, and some of them are pretty pricey. I use the old Hopkins & Allen and Deer Creek actions for everything from chunk guns to offhand to trap guns. They are easy to work with, simple, sturday and usually fairly reasonable. Check with "underhammers .com". Bruce can help you out with everything you need.
Mark :)

Welcome to the Underhammer family! I don't think Bruce from[url] underhammer.com[/url] has any Underhammers any more. He didn't the last time I checked about 6 months ago. His supplier was Deer Creek. They made the Hopkin and Allen kits but no longer. Long story. I know he was thinking about trying to make his own. Maybe he's done that since.

H&A's are simple but if your looking for a fast twist, consider picking up a fast twist from Green Mountain. The standared barrels on the H&A's are roundball twists.

I've been having John Taylor a member here fit my fast twist Green mountain barrels to my Underhammers. John does good work and several here will vouch for him. He just did a couple of barrels for me last week.

I would go with a .50 cal. fast twist from Green Mountain 30". Good luck!

Viva Underhammers!

GMWW

Last edited by a moderator:
Clayman,
GMWW may be right about Bruce's supply. Deer Creek is located in Waldron, Indiana and can be reached at 765-525-6181 or faxed at 765-525-9595. Sherry Osbourne has been a help in the past when I called or visited them at Friendship. If you are going to shoot bullets, or slugs, Gmww is correct, Green Mountain can supply any twist you need. Good luck.
Mark :grin:

A year ago, I built an underhammer with one of the actions Bruce was selling. This rifle was setup for long range NRA target rifle matches. I used a Green Mountain 1:18 twist .451 bore barrel. It is an octagon 1.300" across the flats and weighs just under 15 lbs.
Using both Paper patch or grease groove bullets sized .450" it shoots extremely good out to 1000 yards. Bullet weights are 535 grains. The sights I used are a spirit level front by Lee Shaver and a vernier tang by Parts Unknown (Ukraine), the midrange model has just enough elevation to go from 200 yards to 1000 with a little left over. I did have to make a front sight riser to get it to shoot as low as 200 yards though.
I like the simplicity and no nonsense looks of the underhammers.
A lighter barrel and lighter bullets could make a nice hunting rifle. Good luck with your choice. FM.

Glenn is right unless Bruce came up with something the last month or so, I bought the last dozen or so uh frames from Deer Creek and other parts, but call them about the other parts (trigger,hammer ect) not to long ago another box of one of the 2 showed up a yr and a 1/2 after the order. :shocked2: :shake: A You might get John to even make you a frame, and his work is first rate! He's putting a breech plug in a 12g barrel for me right now for the Deer Creek frames ( I use those those because of the 3 screw hook up of barrel vs pin on the org H+A made) FRED :hatsoff:

Hi, many thanks to you and the other guys who have replied to my topic. I have been in contact with Bruce and Karen of "Blue Grouse BP ML", unfortunately I've not been getting any replies :shake: . But just another question, have there been any other underhammer rifles made in the USA, I'd been told there had been, but no body knows any thing about them in NZ, any ideas?

There is one place you might try for an underhammer action. muzzleloader building supply, they have underhammer actions advertised 0n the web site[url] muzzeloaderbuildingsupply.com[/url]. They don't show up on the main menu. If you use the search option for underhammer you'll see the actions. They're a different action then the one Bruce sold and probebly need some work to finish the action. But if you have some good files,a drill press and take your time, you can make a nice looking underhammer.

B.T.W. I finished an underhammer last april using a 50 cal. green mountain barrel and one of the Deer Creek actions Bruce was selling. I know he was have a problem getting action back then. I guess thing havn't gotten any better in the underhammer world.

Both FW (Fred) and I have the underhammer action form Muzzleloader building supply. There is quite a bit of work involved and unless you have access to a machine shop I'd not recommend it. Fact is I had John Taylor make it ready for me to put together and it is a beautiful gun. You'll need to purchase a stock for it also. By the time your finished with it, a significant amount of money and time will be spent.

I see H&A underhammers show up for auction every couple of months and you can pick one up at a good price. I would seriously contact John Taylor as he has figured out how to make an action very similar to H&A at a reasonable price.

What you will need for him is a trigger and hammer. Not sure if FW has any more but I'm sure Fred will chime in if he does or not.

Another great place to look for underhammers are the local gun shows. Last year I saw two H&A's for about $225. each. I bought one to keep as a spare. Feel free to ask questions about underhammers as there are a number of us who belong to the unique club.

Viva Underhammers!

Gmww

The old H&A underhammers are good guns and the price is certainly right. You might take a look at The Gun Works site, they have a bunch of underhammer target rifles and they're worth a look if just to see some interesting guns. Deer Creek took up production of the old H&A line some years ago. These rifles are simple and lots of fun. Good luck.

A couple examples of an H&A Underhammer with different stocks.
newstock.jpg

PB020349.jpg

An example of the Underhammer made from Muzzleloader building supply kit.
Newunderhammer-1.jpg

trigger-1.jpg

Oh by the way, the top barrel of the three is a .62 cal smooth bore or a 20 ga. I'm hoping to some day use it for turkey.

He's going to use it for turkey and I had them made for wild pigs here in Tex by Long Ham in FL.
The last 2 pics of the Muzzleloader building supply one is something, mine is a fullstock built at the same time with old time type peep comeing off back off barrel. And John didnt sound like he wanted to do one of those again. Ive got all the parts you need if you can come up with a frame. Dont know what John would want for one but around a 100 would be right. Ive got maybe 12 now and will be selling most of them the next few months here I think. Need a 36" Zep barreled 62 cal that takes 160 grs of 2f and 610 ball? or one of the boot guns (Im keeping the one I got from GMWW)keep a watch I guess. FRED :hatsoff:

You are in luck in one way ...we had a Aussie on last year or before that gave me the address of the place they have in country that makes and sells them in Au, try that big island they do have someone makeing them Ive lost the web site but the hassle was exporting to me the price was right on for the rifle! :) Fred :hatsoff:

I had no idea that, so much work was needed to finish one of the actions from muzzleloader building supply. Sorry if I gave mis-information.

Clayman49, The two guys on this forum that have the most knowledge about underhammer are FW (Fred) or GMWW. :bow: When I was building my underhammer they were both a great help. Couldn't have done it with out their insight and help.

Fred do you have any forestocks for underhammers? I'm working on a .32 cal with a barrel that is 13/16. I'm looking for a forearm that is channeled for 13/16 rather then 15/16.

Hey Cannoneer! Nothing to appologize with me and probably not FW. We're pretty easy going and love talking Underhammers like several others here. :hatsoff:

I'm about to send John Taylor a spare hammer and trigger so he can make me an action. This next Underhammer is going to be a show piece. I'm thinking of having it engraved and the hammer carved a bit. I was thinking a dragon engraving on the action sides with the trigger and hammer engraved as front claws.

Then again I'll have to find someone to do that and figure out the cost. John was thinking about making a brass (yes brass) action for himself. :thumbsup:

About forend stocks. The last time I checked, Numrich arms still had a few but I'm not sure if they had them with the smaller channel.

EDIT: Here is the link to Numrich Arms Underhammer stocks.[url] http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1580zUNDERHAMMER&idDept=113[/url]

15/16" and 1 1/8". Sorry

There's a Hopkins & Allen underhammer for sale on this site right now, under classified ads.
Mark :)

There WAS! I emailed the guy for info, but no reply :shake: ; but now it's gone :( . But thanks for the input.

Hi GMWW,
Many thanks for all your help and info'. I have added "Blue Grouse BP" to my favourites list on my PC. I have sent a few emails to Bruce and Karen but with no reply, I'm about to send a letter, but cannot decipher their address, can you help with that? Again, thanks for your help.

Richard T.

Here is the last address I had a year ago from his emails to me.

Blue Grouse Black Powder
13410 135 Ave KPN
Gig Harbor, WA
98329-4688

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back