• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunny day squirrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was quite hot today for April.
A spare couple of hours had me reaching for a flint gun.

A nice walk was had and a squirrel found.
Jess loves squirrel hunting.

B.

If I was a squirrel I'd be thinking that you are a real bastar*! But since I am not, excellent work and great looking gun.👍

Don't want to hijack, but do squirrels taste different depending on their environment?

Silky921 said:
Don't want to hijack, but do squirrels taste different depending on their environment?

Not because of their environment but what they have been feeding on. Mast crops, oak, hickory, pecan and such yield the best flavored meat. If they are feeding on wild cherry or fox grapes, which are bitter, not so much.......robin

Last edited by a moderator:
The squirrels around here like to eat the seeds out of the hedge, (osage orange), balls. Wonder how that makes them taste..? :hmm:

You can bet they do. And it really is dependent upon what they're eating. Same with possums. Best to catch 'em alive and feed them for a while to get rid of any weird taste they may have picked up.

:eek:ff dunno but squirrel but here in AZ I have noted big game has a different taste based on diet (hi mnt or low sage). Believe I like the sage bucks n bulls best myself.

Back