• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Surprise,Surprise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Undertaker,
That is astounding, that hinterlader! :bow: Now suppose a nobleman had had six or seven of those self contained 'cartridges' made up, he could have got off all shots in a very short time. While that may not have been what was done with it, it could have been done. Each insert with the front half of the lock would have had to have been fully and individually fit to the gonne, but it could have worked. Very interesting idea, indeed!
volatpluvia

volatpluvia said:
Undertaker,
Is that a REVOLVING Wheellock? Huh? Huh? My mind will not rest until I figure out how to build one of those! volatpluvia

Hey, they made revolving matchlocks and snaphaunces, why not wheellock? Seems like somebody made a revolving whatever was popular at the time!! Go figure!! :haha:

What an amazing series of guns. The shoulder cannon has me intrigued to no end. Not intrigued enough to want to shoot one though! Great site! Thanks for the link.

Pair of flintlock pistols of Empress Catherine the Great, 1786
Johan Adolph Grecke (Russian, recorded 1755”“90)
Russian (Saint Petersburg)
Steel, ivory, gold, and brass
These pistols are part of a deluxe garniture of ivory-stocked hunting arms made for Empress Catherine the Great (r. 1762”“96), whose initial (E for Ekaterine) is on the escutcheons (the grips). The garniture, which originally consisted of these pistols, a fowling piece dated 1786 (National Museum, Warsaw), and a rifle (whereabouts unknown), was later given to her favorite, Prince Stanislaus Augustus Poniatowski (1732”“1798), whom she backed as king of Poland (r. 1764”“95). Firearms with ivory stocks, generally out of fashion in western Europe by the eighteenth century, became a favorite in the ostentatious Russian court during the last quarter of the century.
hb_1986.jpg

:hatsoff:

Undertaker, those rank as undoubtedly the most beautiful guns that I've EVER seen! Thanks for posting them! I don't know whether to smile, or cry because I can never have one like that. Until then, I'll just keep drooling like a rabid dog.

Back