• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swabbing for accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the past I have typically used one wet patch followed by one dry patch between each shot (both sides of each patch used). Do you think one patch lightly wetted with saliva would work as well, skipping the dry patch?

Dixie Flinter said:
In the past I have typically used one wet patch followed by one dry patch between each shot (both sides of each patch used). Do you think one patch lightly wetted with saliva would work as well, skipping the dry patch?

The "spit" cleaning patch will work very well for field cleaning or wiping between shots if needed. Never needed to wipe between shots with my 50's but the 36 tends to foul a bit if I am using heavy loads. I just wet a cleaning patch or a small piece of shooting patch and run it up and down a few times, turn it over and wipe one more time and I'm all ready to go again.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Dixie,
I got into the habit of swabing with one spit dampened patch,using both sides after every shot.Works for me. :v

I generally [on the range] swab with one spit patch after every shot or every second shot, depending on conditions. Besides keeping the bore conditions more or less alike between shots, swabbing with a damp patch helps stifle sparks that might prematurely set off your next load--maybe with your hand on the load rod in the barrel. As a canoneer, for example we NEVER load another round without thoroughly swabbing the bore with a WET swab. I know one fellow with only a thumb and one finger left on his hand after loading atop a spark not extinguished properly by swabbing. I use spit because it is cheap, available and just as good as any commercial product. You also don't need anything other than water to clean your BP guns. I do use either tallow or commercial lubes on my patch when loading for hunting.

Dixie Flinter: If you are shooting in Florida, I doubt you can skip using the dry patch, and use ONLY the lightly dampened patch with spit. Its way too humid there, almost every month of the year.

What is your hurry? this is muzzle loading. Leave the fantasies about quick reloading to the guys with the semi-auto rifles and the 30 round magazines, with 3 taped together. Don't skip steps, or try to reinvent this wheel. The joy of shooting muzzle loaders is that most all the technology is already worked out. You just have to get past the wives tales, semantic misunderstandings, different ideas of what two diferent people this is " Fast ", or " Tight ", or " Accurate", when describing their gun or shooting it.

My brother lives in Gainesville, and finds the only way he can shoot his rifle there is by cleaning between every shot, and using a dry patch to dry the barrel before reloading. This with a patent breech rifle, and with his 20 ga fowler.
He has tried to cut all the corners you are thinking about, and calls me when he gets in trouble. He is new to flintlocks, but had not shot his rifle for many years, and then nad never shot much in such a humid environment. I have him taking his time, doing it right, and enjoying shooting. He also surprises other men on the range who gave up on BP shooting because of the problems they have had keeping the gun shooting. They want to know how he gets that flintlock to fire so fast, and what he is doing that he doesn't get misfires after shooting a couple of rounds.

What is wrong with this? I tried swabbing, after loading, for accuracy! Could not find anything negtive by doing this? Accuary seem to improve a bit. WHAT IS WRONG BY DOING SWABBING AFTER LOADING.Other than It just don't seem right.

I've never tried it. I swab with a damp patch after firing my shot reverse the patch swab again and reload. I wouldn't want to swab after loading just because it's loaded and cap or no cap why mess around with the muzzle of a loaded firearm? Not me

ss1 said:
What is wrong with this? I tried swabbing, after loading, for accuracy! Could not find anything negtive by doing this? Accuary seem to improve a bit. WHAT IS WRONG BY DOING SWABBING AFTER LOADING.Other than It just don't seem right.
Don't know what projectile you're using, but if it's a patched ball, I believe a properly lubed patch pretty much wipes the bore clean when seating the next ball...ie: shoot a 50 shot range session without ever having to wipe between shots...so I wouldn't think there would be anything to wipe after a patched ball has been seated

I think I've seen you refer to all-day sessions (50+ shots) before, Roundball. My question, which goes for the original poster too, is this: are you using Pyrodex or Goex? Spit or Bore Butter Natural Lube on the patches?

I agree that a properly patched ball is swabbing the bore as you go, and therefore, no need to swab after loading. I'm just curious to know what powder you use and if that would make a difference as to how much swabbing it really takes to clean the barrel.

Yep,
Swab between every shot with a spitted patch, replacing the patch about every tenth shot. As mentioned before this aids in shot to shot consistency.

shifty-eyed critter said:
I think I've seen you refer to all-day sessions (50+ shots) before, Roundball. My question, which goes for the original poster too, is this: are you using Pyrodex or Goex? Spit or Bore Butter Natural Lube on the patches?

I agree that a properly patched ball is swabbing the bore as you go, and therefore, no need to swab after loading. I'm just curious to know what powder you use and if that would make a difference as to how much swabbing it really takes to clean the barrel.

I use Goex 3F powder 99% of the time...use it in .45/.50/.54cal, and 2F in the .58. But, I used to use Pyrodex RS when I shot caplocks and the results were the same...the lube is the deal.

I used Oxyoke or TC pillow ticking patches that are prelubed with Natural Lube 1000 during most of the year here in NC when humidity is moderate to high.

During the colder, dry, low humidity months of winter/spring I found I couldn't go through a full range session without wiping/cleaning the bore every 8-10 shots and I hate to waste time doing that.....I think it was 'Bucknife' who suggested I needed more lube on the patches during dry conditions so I microwaved more NL1000 into them and it worked fine...but that requires some fiddling around, and the Chief-of-Staff wasn't crazy about the wintergreen smell all over the house.

Then I discovered Hoppes No9 Plus and being a liquid it's wetter than NL1000 and it is simply outstanding on low humidity days.

A surprising side benefit of Hoppes is the extreme to which it keeps the bore clean...even after shooting a 50 shot session, I get home to clean the rifle and the bore is basically already clean...the first patch pump flushed down bore discharges only a faint trace of color out of the vent...and no amount of additional patching or brushing brings out any more discoloration.

But here now in NC until late fall, patches prelubed with NL1000 works perfectly and literally can be picked up and used again...I posted photos here last year showing a full set of .015" Oxyoke patches after being fired in June or July, then a photo of them after I fired them all again at another range session later in the summer...could have used them a 3rd time if I'd have wanted to, the bore stays that clean.

As you know, the mechanics of it are that the lube keeps the fouling so soft, the next PRB wipes the bore clean when it's seated, deposits the fouling on top of the powder, it's ejected during the next firing, a fresh single shot's worth of fouling is left in the bore again, then another PRB is seated and the cycle repeats...never more than one shot's worth of fouling in the bore at any given time.

So NL1000 or Hoppes No9 Plus are what I depend on to shoot without having to wipe between shots

As is so typical of the 'Forum that we might take it for granted, great answers by knowledgeable folks :hatsoff:

Toomuch - the .36 does foul quicker using the 40 grains of 3f it prefers.

Halftail and Stumpy - I don't mind the taste of cotton either.

Mike Roberts - are you getting the same point of impact with commercial lubes as you do with spit? I hunt with wonder-lube so have been using that for target/practice shooting.

Paul - thanks for the heads up on high humidity shooting. The slower, almost rhythmic routine of loading, priming (or capping), aiming, squeezing off a shot, swabbing...its very relaxing. Yet focused at the same time! :hmm: Is this what meditation is? "breathe deep the sulfuric smoke" :winking:

Apprenticebuilder - you use the same patch for up to 10 different swabbings?

I got more fowling on patch than I thought I would. Is it not so, that you clean [swab] between shots, to get rid of fowling, to help reloading and in some cases, to improve accuray.This way, every ball & patch goes out a clean barrel, same every time! There is one advantage I can think of. Droping powder & ball, before swabbing, prevents any fowling from getting knocked into chamber effecting igination. What do you think?

I understand your valid consern. However, I do not see it being more of a problem than putting in powder, patch, & ball. Even less of a problem! What do your think?

ss1 said:
"...Is it not so, that you clean [swab] between shots, to get rid of fowling, to help reloading and in some cases, to improve accuray.This way, every ball & patch goes out a clean barrel, same every time!..."
"...using a lube which minimizes fouling and keeps that little bit of fouling very soft let's the next PRB wipes the bore clean when it's seated...deposits the fouling on top of the powder...and it's ejected during the next firing...then a fresh single shot's worth of fouling is left in the bore again...when the next PRB is seated the bore is wiped again...each time the rifle is fired the bore condition is the same.
"...Droping powder & ball, before swabbing, prevents any fowling from getting knocked into chamber effecting igination. What do you think?...
I can't answer that from personal experience...all my rifles have a "patent breech" which doesn't let fouling get down into into the vent area.

I understand what you are saying, and agree. However, if so, fowling problems is caused ONLY by using the wrong LUB. RIGHT LUB no fowling. Shoot all day long with no cleaning. Sorta sounds wrong, but I don't know why.

I tried this the other day with my .32 cal.

After loading , I ran a wet lubed patch down the bore.

I started getting 'fliers'.

Too much lube! or the wrong kind.

It really depends on the humidity in the air....

On a humid day, I may not need to wipe between shot, but.......the next day when it was cooler and dry..........the fouling turned to cement between shots, and needed the light wipe.

Weather has a big affect on black powder, you just need to make adjustments.

Back