• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped barrel with custom profile

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking for a barrel maker..

• DeHaas and Oregon only make tapered barrels
  • Rice only have fixed profiles (their jaeger style would be almost it, but too strongly swamped in my opinion (from 11/8 down to .79)
  • Rayl and Getz have enormous backlogs from what I heard, more than 6 months
  • And Colerain does not have my caliber/profile combination, besides I would not prefer a Colerain barrel anyway

Do you know a maker that you could recommend for a swamped barrel with custom profile?

I would go ahead and order your barrel from Rayl, 6 months is nothing to get exactly what you want in a custom barrel.

SP

Once I waited for two barrels from Getz more than a year even though I was told when ordering that his backlog was only 3 months. Before waiting that long I will take a tapered barrel from DeHaas. Or I do order from Rayl as Slowpoke suggested. But maybe there is an alternative maker of swamped barrels?

Anything worth having is worth waiting for. I book my custom work 1 1/2 to 2 years in advance and give getz the orders for the barrels that far ahead. I have no problems in getting barrels from him by the time I need them unless they are something compleatly off the wall.
The muzzloading business is all run by self employed SMALL TIME guys putting out a limited amount of quality product. It takes time for any quality product to be made by hand one at a time. I would suggest planing ahead on your projects a couple years, then you won't be disappointed.
By the way, a one year wait for a Getz barrel is not bad at all.....

I wanted to make Issac Berlin's Pre-Revolutionary smoothebore, gave the barrel print to "Well Known" barrel maker, had to call a few times, waited 17 months... that's 10+7 months and the barrel didn't match the print.
.....Have you tried Vernon Davis for barrels?
George F.

Ed Rayl gets my vote! The last one I got was 3 weeks later then he predicted 4 months earlier... :hatsoff:

Although they specialize in custom single shot cartridge barrels, and their prices are unbelievably high, you could call:

Badger Barrels, Inc
(262) 857-6950
Bristol, WI 53104

Vernon Davis: Do you have his address at hand?

I really did not intend to twit anybody for his backlog. This gun is for offhand shooting so I figured the extra weight of a tapered barrel would not be a problem. But you are right about it beeing worth waiting if you get just the right thing in the end.

Robert

I don't deny a good barrel is worth waiting for, and that's exactly what I am doing for the next 2 projects from 2 differenmt custom makers. It takes some getting used to, and it would be helpful if their predictions for delivery were within 2-3 months of actual delivery. That would not be hard to do, or to update the customer every 6 months or so if things change.

Hey Rob, Vernon Davis isn't a barrel maker, but he carries alot of barrels. He can be reached at 614-761-2568. He's in Dublin, Ohio

For whats it worth I agree that something worth having is worth waiting for, however I ordered a custom barrel from John Getz while they were at Dixons' this past summer, shes 59" long with a custom swamped profile in 58 cal. John contacted me earlier this week to tell me shes done. No one else who was at Dixons came close to his delivery time or his price, and John has arranged to send it directly to the custom rifle builder that he introduced to me to during Dixons Gun Fair. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Getz Barrel Co. gets two thumbs up from me.

I also recomend Getz Barrels :bow: . Sure I had to wait 2 yrs :cursing: for a custom STRAIGHT barrel once, but I have been able to get some within a few weeks and most in 2 to 6 months. I usually have a backlog of work, so waiting is not a problem. And the quality and value is well worth it. By ordering 3 at a time I have a variety on hand most of the time. Of course I realize that doesn't help the guy who just wants to build one for hisself, and get started right away.

Swamped barrels, does it have something to do with personal taste? I can’t say that I like the looks of it, and would much prefer the classic lines of a octagon or an hexagon barrel.:v

A swamped barrel has one major advantage over a straight barrel, besides looks, and that's offhand shooting. A straight barrel will tend to feel muzzle heavy. A swamped barrel has it's mass at the breech and a small amount at the muzzle. It will feel more steady and easier to hold.

Back