• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a muzzleloader? Probably a .32 today, but in times past, who knows? I have seen some pistols and revolvers that are one and two milimeters... beautiful examples of the gunmaker's art, but like most art, quite useless for any practical purpose.

I'd love to see someone come out with a muzzleloading gun that takes .177 pellets. It would use, of course, #11 caps and require no powder at all, just the cap. I wonder if it is possible....

I have a .32 flintlock with a swamped barrel and it's a nice little rifle. Swamped barrels make great rifles for the woods; but if I wanted one for target/matches only I'd get a straight barrel.

As a muzzleloader? Probably a .32 today, but in times past, who knows? I have seen some pistols and revolvers that are one and two milimeters... beautiful examples of the gunmaker's art, but like most art, quite useless for any practical purpose.

I'd love to see someone come out with a muzzleloading gun that takes .177 pellets. It would use, of course, #11 caps and require no powder at all, just the cap. I wonder if it is possible....
Look up "parlor guns" and "Flobert" in particular. Every now and then one hits the market.

years ago I saw a original German made gallery gun. It used a 17 cal ball and a percussion cap no powder

My favorite gun barrel for small calibers , is a 3/4" straight octagon. Get that barrel in a .40 cal. , and you can adjust the powder charge up or down for what ever you are hunting, The 3/4".40 is light , and economical.

from the major barrel makers 32 is the smallest. FCI offers 30 and 29. Hoyt and Rayl can make 25 caliber. I have a old 22lr barrel I am going to breech and turn into a flintlock. Just wondering why you need the smallest caliber?

My BP 22 caliber pistol, shoots a 15 grain round ball with a .009 patch with 6.7 grains of O.E. through the chronograph at 1080 fps. And is quite accurate. I shoot it in pistol matches at both 25 and 50 yards. Just sayin…..

Don't NEED ONE, just curious. Smaller caliber, lighter barrel?? Curiosity killed the cat?? ;) ;)
for any given barrel dimension a smaller caliber is going to be heavier. a 32 in a 3/4 barrel will be heavier than it in 36. I like small caliber guns but just like all guns what you plan to do with it matters. the most common reasons I have seen are small game hunting, economics, light handy rifle, and to be different.

Here’s why I would only use a swamped or even straight barrel 3/4” at the breech as an offhand or plinking gun. Too whippy.

Imagine 2 PVC pipes with the same wall thickness, 4 feet long. One is 1/2” diameter and the other is 2” in diameter. Which is going to be more “whippy” and easy to bend?

Same with something solid like a dowel. 1/2” dowel versus a 2” stair rail.

Also note that the longer a rod is, the easier it is to bend. Now if you whittle a taper and flare on it, where will it bend most easily?

Original SMR guns of small caliber usually had crazy thick barrels and the guns weighed a LOT. I have several original barrels of that sort. Not fun for toting. But such barrels can give bench gun accuracy.

Don’t expect 2” groups at 100 yards from a slim, long, swamped barrel.

Last edited:

There were non firing, correct? That's only .039" for 1mm and .079" for 2mm, a #9 lead shot is .080".

Latest posts

Back