• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swapping Cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had a Pietta 1858 Buffalo with the 12" barrel for some time now, it mostly just gathers dust. Last week I picked up a steel framed 1858 with the 8" barrel which I really like a lot. I took the cylinder from the Buffalo to check about using it as a spare in the 8". One thing that I noticed is it requires a minor, and very minor extra pull on hammer to lock in place. The Buffalo cylinder locks up tight and lines up perfect in all aspects. I have not yet tried the cylinder from the 8" model in the Buffalo but was wondering if this might be any issue.

I would say as long as the cylinder fits well as to length, cylinder pin, and indexes correctly there should be no safety issues. Sounds like a small difference in the "ratchet" at the rear of the cylinder but as long as it does lock up without stressing anything should work.
Accuracy between the two cylinders may be another thing. Try it.
Jon D

Very likely it is just a small difference in the profile or length of the hand or the contour of the hand spring.
As long as the bolt lockup is tight, I'd say try it.

Latest posts

Back