• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swing time squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I’m thinking about doing this year’s deer hunt with my .54 caliber Hawken, and I needed one more session of getting it shooting where I want, so I planned a combination shoot and squirrel hunt for yesterday. I didn’t have to spend much time with the .54, so I hit the squirrel woods about 1100. Cool, just a bit windy, mostly clear, a good day for it.

I hadn’t moved into the woods 50 yards when a beautiful doe came walking by 25 yards in front of me, twitching her ears and flipping her tail like crazy because of the bugs. The area was very trashy and grown up, so I couldn’t always see her, but she moseyed along to a spot quite near and bedded down, out of sight. When I moved a few steps she jumped up, stamped her foot, blew loudly and exited stage right in a hurry.

Thirty minutes later, as I was eyeballing a big hickory tree for any activity, a gray squirrel ran down a tree to the ground and disappeared over the edge of a small, deep, wet-weather stream 30 yards out. In five minutes it was back for an instant, then disappeared again, this time headed the other direction. Ten minutes later a squirrel ran down a small tree to the ground on the other side of the stream and disappeared. I eased forward several yards for a better view, but saw nothing. A while later a squirrel ran up a tree on the other side of the stream, this one a fox squirrel, headed through the treetops away from me, so I hurried along behind, being as quiet as I could. In a couple of minutes the squirrel ran out onto a high horizontal limb which crossed the stream, headed back to my side and a small tree with a mess of trash in the top. The squirrel was quite a way out, further than I would normally attempt the shot with my 20 gauge flintlock double, but I had an ace up my sleeve. The left barrel was loaded with the Skychief Special....60 gr. 2F+a 1/8-inch hard card+70 gre. #5 shot+ a thin OS card+a cushion wad saturated with melted beeswax-lard lube”¦. so I tried it. The squirrel was obviously hit, and fell off the limb. But not quite. It hung on with one front foot, swinging back and forth. I waited for it to fall, but it recovered, climbed up and ran about six feet further along the limb and then fell off. But not quite. Dangling again, holding on with one front foot. As it made that last run a second fox squirrel ran out onto the limb behind it, but when it fell the second time that squirrel reversed and left in a hurry. The first recovered one more time, moved forward a little and fell the third time, this time I saw it leave the limb and fall straight down to the ground. But not quite. It landed in that mess of trash in the top of the tree and disappeared. I waited what seemed a long time, trying to decide if I should move closer or wait it out. It was obviously seriously injured but still active, and if it fell into the weeds and trash wood under that tree it might have strength enough to crawl away and hide. Before I could make up my mind it fell again, this time out of the top of the trash, but it only dropped 2-3 feet and caught on one more time, went to dangling and swinging. Just as I finally decided to move, it fell...finally...and I heard a loud, dead squirrel thump as it hit the ground. I don’t trust fox squirrels one bit, so I ran to the base of the tree and saw...nothing. Weeds and down wood everywhere, but not a squirrel in sight. @#)%^&!! I very thoroughly scoured the area around in all directions for 20 yards, poked in or looked in a lot of potential hiding places, including the bed and banks of the dry stream, but saw not a hair. Disgusted, not wanting to, I gave it up as a lost cause. But not quite. In my search I had noticed a tall green, big-leaf weed with a bunch of bright red blood dripped on it while the squirrel was doing that last bit of swinging and hanging. I had the idea that if I could find some blood on the ground it might give me an indication of the direction it had gone. On hands and knees, nose to the ground like a hound dog, I spent several minutes looking for a speck and finally found one about five feet in the direction of the stream. A couple more drops, and there the tough little critter was, on the steam side of a small dead tree with a hollow at the base, tucked in there neat as you please, and I had walked past it 2-3 times in my search of the stream bank. Three pellets in the body and one in the back leg, I don't know what kept it going.

If Paul Valandigham were still with us he would give me a medal, I’m sure. Not many squirrel trackers left in this modern world. :grin:

The day continued unusual. While all that hanging and dangling was going on a pileated woodpecker was flitting around in the nearby trees. A half hour later an opossum strolled within 10 feet of me without a sign of alarm. As I moved deeper into the woods I stumbled on a dead buck, a big-bodied one. I suspect it was a natural death, probably old age, because the antlers were very weird. The left had a thick beam, five points eastern count, but the brow tine was deformed and double. The entire right antler was only about six inches long, flattened onto a thin wedge at the tip with three sharp protuberances.

Most of my hunts are much more routine than this one, but I like the change, especially the bonus wildlife. No matter what’s going on in the woods, it’s good to be out in ”˜em.

Spence

Wow those squirrels are tough..I've had to take a flash light into hollow logs after them.

Great day Spence!..Thanks for taking us along.

Does your deer herd suffer from ehd?

Nice story Spence.... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Iffy shots and heavy ground cover are two reasons why I don't like to hunt squirrels early in the season....Hot weather and bugs are two more reasons....But there's no such thing as a bad day of hunting....

colorado clyde said:
Iffy shots and heavy ground cover are two reasons why I don't like to hunt squirrels early in the season....Hot weather and bugs are two more reasons....
As some famous philosopher is known to have said, "A man's got to know his limitations." :haha:

Spence

Great account of your hunt. Your detailed and vivid writing somehow made the saga of the tough little bugger more suspenseful than it would have been with photos! Thanks for posting. Can't wait to hear about the Hawken deer hunt.

A tracking job equal to that of one performed by a veteran blue ticked beagle hound! But not quite. :wink:

You had a very interesting hunt my friend. One never knows what he'll find, huh?

Thanks for the great essay, I was on the edge of my seat.

Way to ferret out that trail. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing with us.

Sounds like the .54 remained "dialed in", correct?

Please keep sharing, Skychief

Skychief said:
Sounds like the .54 remained "dialed in", correct?
Yeah, I think it's ready. I was pretty sure I had it right last time out, but with my old eyes and iron sights I wanted to make sure my results were something I did on purpose. :wink:

I did what I call a money shot, like in the field when the buck shows up, one shot for all the marbles. Sighting it in for a 75 yard zero, I had a 50-yard target with a line 1.2" high, where the ball needed to be for that distance. The one and only shot cut the line, so I folded my gear and hit the squirrel woods. I guess I'll have the final exam on my work in about 5 weeks. Looking forward to it, haven't hunted with that rifle for quite a few years.

Got a good recipe to cure fleas? :haha:

Spence

I shoot em and skin em immediately. If I wait I start to see fleas jumping off on the tailgate when cleaning at end of hunt. Immediate cleaning and they tend to remain on the still warm carcass. EVERY year up here we get plague from fleas so ya gotta be wary :td:

Sorry, I guess I was entirely too cute, lost everybody with my puny funny. The fleas I was thinking of were the ones all us "blue ticked beagle hounds" have. :haha:

Spence

22fowl said:
Does your deer herd suffer from ehd?
I said that it did not as far as I know. That shows how little I know. A little research shows that EHD is present in our herd, has been for a long time. It mostly shows up in the eastern, more mountainous part of Kentucky, is pretty rare most years but becomes a much greater problem every 5-7 years. So far this year there have been almost 3000 cases reported. My county only has one reported case this year.

I got a lot smarter just from talking to you. Thanks.

Spence

We got hit with EHD in my corner of Kansas a few years back during a drought. We had ponds around here that completely dried up and stayed that way for months. The herd in my region has still not recovered to the numbers we used to have.

Paul we are going through the first stages of CWD
in SE Minnesota..

Wildlife dept it making it possible to kill every deer in the unit.$ 2.50 a tag..gun hunt a week a month for next 3 months..no holds barred.

Yikes! But they found 13
positives with no outward signs..so they caught it early...

Do not wish EHD on anyone..its ugly.

Last year was 4 point on one side antler restriction..all that history now!

Looks like total deer kill within the next 5 years.

Last season was my first year to hunt these woods
glad I got to see it before the outbreak..it was good.

Back