• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

switch barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locotest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Deerstalker .50 cal flint and I would like to try a .54 cal. I know they sell barrels for these. My question is, can I just buy a .54 cal Deerstalker flint barrel and place it in the rifle and that's it, ready yo go? Of course I know I would have to have the appropriate .54 cal accessories.

Oh, that's good to know! When I upgraded to a 54 Douglas barrel in my TC Hawken I had to open the barrel channel and fit a new hooked breech and tang.
It was quite a job to get it all fit back up again as the initial 50 cal. barrel was smaller across the flats.

double check to make sure the .54 is 15/16 but I think it is. I had a 54 smooth bore made for my deer stalker from Rice barrel co. and put a t/c flint breech plug in it and it works fine.

Well I ordered a 54 cal barrel from Midsouth, it shipped today and it's supposed to be here Monday. Guess I know what I'll be doing next week if the weather cooperates.

Back