• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 15/16" barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably won't get him to answer, but Bob Hoyt would know. He is crazy busy so phone calls are often not answered for days

Provided the barrel isn't drilled and tapped for a scope with deep holes, the barrel can be turned into a 20ga if I remember correctly.

Update; another guy just posted the same question and said he talked to Mr. Hoyt. Perhaps my info is incorrect, he said Bobby would go to .60 smooth on a 1" barrel.

Last edited:
So the holes for the rear sight are as follows: .010 for the rear hole, and .006 for the front hole. I was hoping for a 58 smoothie, but I am thinking a 56 is more likely.

Well....if I do my math right the distance flat to flat of a 15/16" barrel is .938. As the table below shows, after taking into account the drilled hole of ten thousands, you have .169 of metal left.

I don't recall what the "safe" amount of metal is, so that would need to be researched and verified.

1725795696497.png

@ChuckJonesWagon, if your threaded hole is 0.010 inches deep, then it is only engaging 1/2 a thread. Tha max depth is more like 0.100 to engage 5 threads. I think the max is more on the order of 0.100" leaving 0.079" of barrel wall thickness. I would be looking to set the minimum barrel thickness at 0.100" or a screw hole depth of about 0.079" which for a screw of 48 threads per inch would have about 4 threads engaged.

@ChuckJonesWagon, if your threaded hole is 0.010 inches deep, then it is only engaging 1/2 a thread. Tha max depth is more like 0.100 to engage 5 threads. I think the max is more on the order of 0.100" leaving 0.079" of barrel wall thickness. I would be looking to set the minimum barrel thickness at 0.100" or a screw hole depth of about 0.079" which for a screw of 48 threads per inch would have about 4 threads engaged.
Great point. Always measure twice, cut once, and never, ever trust an internet post without a third party verification!!

Back