• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 56cal. smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondackman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I see that there are a few of these guns available at reasonable prices. Is this enough gun for turkey at 20 yards or less?

I know of one member of this forum who shot a turkey with one of these at less than 20 yards. I hunt rabbits and squirrel with shot and deer with a ball in mine.

Yes, you can hunt turkey but you must work up a tight patterning load and it probably would not hurt to use nickle or copper plated shot so there is less deformity of the shot itself, thus less flyers. I would also set a 20yrd limit as my maximum distance for turkey. Of course YMMV

You need to check your state hunting regs. Here in Oregon you have to use at least a .20 ga and no bigger than a .10 ga.

Adirondackman said:
I see that there are a few of these guns available at reasonable prices. Is this enough gun for turkey at 20 yards or less?
Thought you already had one and took a turkey with it a few years ago?

I remember a post about someone shooting a fine Adirondack turkey with the TC .56 at about 25 yards after working up a nice load.
I'm noticing that the prices on these TC .56's are going up probably due in part to hunting season. During the last 60 days on Auction Arms, I found that 3 have been sold.

One was rated as 85% for $177.56

Another very, very nice one went for $180.00

And the 3rd was a rare brand new one in the box and went for $246.07

Used barrels can sometimes be bought on eBay for a very reasonable price though.

Yes Adirondackmtken has taken a turkey with his. He has talked with me about it. I was just wandering if any one else has used a 56 and what thier thoughts where. Thanks

Yes 2 Adirondack Mountain Men now. You guys are always welcome to come up and hunt these beautifull mountains with us.

I have not taken turkey with the .56 as I have a larger bore flintlock that I typically use for that purpose. However, I wouldn't hesitate to take the .56 as I had some loads that should work on turkey up to 20yds or so. The gun will pattern nicely and it also works with patched round ball quite well too. Those T/C .56 cal smoothbore Renegades are very useful guns, it's a shame that many people don't recognize that fact. Give it a go, I think you'll do fine.

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

Its hard to get people to take what is basically a .28 gauge shotgun seriously. While the range you shoot game at has to be closer than if you use a 12 ga., they throw nice patterns, and are good small game guns. The absense of recoil is what most people begin to appreciate, as well as the lighter weight of the guns. I know several shooters who have sold all their 12 ga. guns and used the money to buy a good O/U .28 gauge shotgun for all their upland hunting needs.

The .56 is the best smoothbore I have ever owned. It is also the only one I have ever owned because I never felt the need to get another. Check the past discussions for loads. And yes I think it would take turkey with 1.25-1.5 ounces of #4 in a paper shotcup, ahead of wadding and about 70 grains of powder, out to maybe 30 yards
Have fun,
Taylor in Texas
PS This is a fairly heavy load.

I'm not gonna be usin' mine on turkey, Tennessee don't allow it. :nono:
Ain't it a shame that the guys who make the rules don't always know what they are doin'? :bull:

Just a quick Off topic question for you. Are the turkey populations good an in the Adirondacks or do you guys come down to hunt the foothills in the Mohawk or Champlain valleys? Just curious. I have seen good flocks near Crown Point on the lake, but thought the interior mountain areas held less birds.

Back