• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C cherokee trigger job

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainiac

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Seeing as its piling snow up outside, i am home bound! Decided to try to improve the trigger on my .32 cherokee.It worked rather well i might add. I never had one of these things apart,so i had to go by the SEAT-OF-THE-PANTS method!Anyway,i got rid of pretty much all of the creep,and reduced pull weight by clipping the trigger spring,and hammer spring.Does wolf make a spring kit for these guns? I want to lighten it some more,but am afraid of going to far.Im thinking that if i go to light on the hammer spring,ill get mis-fires and increase lock-time (dont want that!)The trigger spring could probaly be clipped some more,but i dont know. How light can a guy make these triggers? The trigger now is about 2 pounds,and with no creep,i can live with this. Also want to say that having never taken a lock off a smoke-gun, I couldnt beleave the rust on the inside of the lock plate!!! Ill be checking this often,now that i know!

Mainiac,
I am thinking that you must have the Cherokee with the single trigger, otherwise you would not have needed to alter the double set trigger. Be happy with a trigger that is creep free and breaks at two pounds. Also, certainly no need to lighten the hammer spring. In fact, Id snap off several caps with your rifle unloaded to make sure that the hammer still detonates them. If not, you will need to get a new spring. Enjoy that nice little rifle, they are getting hard to find, and pricier all the time.

I don't think wolf make spring for t/c side locks.
I would say 1 coil may be o.k. to remove or even 2 coils.The worst thing can happen is a misfire and I would say the hammer spring on t/c can't cost that much would pay attention to polish the internal parts with 1500 wet and dry and the angle of the sear polished would see a great improvement.
I like to wrap the paper around a flat 040 feeler gauge to make sure you don't round the edges.
I have a 1911 and new it was 5lb after all the polishing and sear prepping now a crisp 36 oz.

I cut 1 coil off the hammer spring,and 1 coil off the trigger spring. The sear I used a small jewelers file to take off most of the ledge,and then a diamond whet stone to polish.Left the sear angle the same, just get rid of the porch roof that they put in all factory hammer/sears! We have 2.5-3 feet of snow here now... will be awhile until i can shoot again!

Back