• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C flint lock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrryan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a replacement flintlock for a T/C hawken. The lock plate has a very slight bend to it in the fore-and-aft direction, front to back, bowed outward. All other locks I have seen appear to be straight. Is this bend normal? Appreciate comments from T/C afficionados, thanks, Ron in FL

I should have clarified this is a T/C factory replacement lock (just realized there are also other companies' leaf spring locks as replacements--ron

No, it should not be bowed, although it may not do any harm, just looks poor. Strip it, and straighten, or return it to TC.

my T/C flintlock is getting the same bow to it....since there's only one lock bolt that tightens the lock into the stock from the middle of the lock and is bowing the front of my lock out so it's not flush with the stock no more....it's from overtightening the lock bolt and if i don't snug it just a bit it seems loose....i'm going to drill through the stock and thread a new hole fer a front lock bolt and i think that will stop the bow....mine is from a lack of a second lock bolt might be the same fer yers :v ...........bob

Instead of drilling all the way through the stock and trying to put another bolt in, which will probably interfere with your ramrod, you might just do like Pedersoli does with the Frontier/Blue Ridge and just put a wood screw in to hold the front of the lock plate.

ronrryan said:
I have a replacement flintlock for a T/C hawken. The lock plate has a very slight bend to it in the fore-and-aft direction, front to back, bowed outward. All other locks I have seen appear to be straight. Is this bend normal? Appreciate comments from T/C afficionados, thanks, Ron in FL
Yes, that 'bow' is normal...I have quite a few and they're all like that...(so are the caplocks)

I have a few TC flintlocks, and several of them have a slight bow in the lockplate. Interestingly, I have a new replacement lock that is still in the factory packaging, and yes it does have a slight bow to the lockplate. These locks still spark just fine; my guess (which is just a guess) is that the bow occurs during the color case[url] process...In[/url] any event; these locks work just fine....

Last edited by a moderator:
aap2 said:
I have a few TC flintlocks, and several of them have a slight bow in the lockplate. Interestingly, I have a new replacement lock that is still in the factory packaging, and yes it does have a slight bow to the lockplate. These locks still spark just fine; my guess (which is just a guess) is that the bow occurs during the color case[url] process...In[/url] any event; these locks work just fine....
So do all of mine...frankly, I appreciate the fact that the bow puts some tension on the lock bolt when it's snugged up...serves a purpose almost like a lock washer would...keeping the lock bolt from vibrating loose during a range session, out hunting, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether a lock plate bows, or is flat ONLY MATTERS if the shape is causing any of the parts of the lock to bind, or drag or rub against the lock plate, interfering with the operation of the lock. Check the inside of the lockplate to see if there are any rub marks on the plate, which would tell something is rubbing, that should not be doing so, and which part it is.

Years ago, I had a percussion lock make in Spain that was bowed on arrival. It caused the mainspring to rub against the lock plate. I took the lock apart and straightened the plate, and had no more problems with the function of the mainspring, or the rest of the lock. I just tightened the jaws of my bench vise down on it, padded of course, to straighten the plate.

paulvallandigham said:
Whether a lock plate bows, or is flat ONLY MATTERS if the shape is causing any of the parts of the lock to bind, or drag or rub against the lock plate, interfering with the operation of the lock. Check the inside of the lockplate to see if there are any rub marks on the plate, which would tell something is rubbing, that should not be doing so, and which part it is.

i like what paul says- if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

i must confess that i've never noticed if there was a bend in my T/C's lockplate or not, but since it's always worked just fine, i'm not inclined to rush out and fool with it.

Thank you all for the help. As usual, this is the best Forum in my whole experience for good advice. Good smoke, ron in FL

The bend is normal and by design. I had discussed this with one of the T/C factory techs when I had problems with one of my locks. He explained that tension on the lock screw will pull the slight bend into the stock for a flush fit.

Back