• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c flintlock gun or kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: I want to know the pros and cons of a t/c flintlock in kit form or out of the box.Thanks

lsmoothbore said:
:hmm: I want to know the pros and cons of a t/c flintlock in kit form or out of the box.Thanks
For what it's worth:

1) I think the only remaining kits offered are the TC Hawken and then only in .50cal;

2) I believe current kits contain factory finished blued barrels so there's no choice of 'browning' one;

3) The brass parts really need a lot of work to file, sand, and buff out all the machine marks;

4) IMO, there's not a lot of price difference in a kit compared to a finished factory rifle, considering all the work involved, and potentially, unless you're particularly gifted, the looks of the end product;

5) TC's lifetime warranty on factory rifles is second to none, however, it doesn't apply to a kit stock;

So IMO, you'd really, really, have to 'want' to do it as opposed to trying to save any[url] money...in[/url] fact, unless you already have all sorts of tools and supplies, by the time you get done buying what you'll need to do it, you'll spend far more than just buying the rifle outright.

My .02 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
lsmoothbore said:
****SNIP*****

2) I believe current kits contain factory finished blued barrels so there's no choice of 'browning' one;
****SNIP****
My .02 cents...

If you want a browned barrel instead of a blued one, use some Birchwood Blue and Rust Remover to remove the bluing. Takes all of about 10 minutes - very easy to do.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I don't know the prices on the kits that you are refering to but my rule of thumb is if you can't save at least 1/4 the price of a finished gun by buying the kit then buy the finished gun to begin with. There is really only one reason for building a kit gun rather than buying it finished and that is money. If you consider the finishing materials and time involved it's hard to justify building a kit without a considerable difference in cost.

Personally, I enjoy building things. You can put the finish you want on, make changes to suit your fancy, that you can't get in a factory gun. But if you are going to build a kit to look like a factory gun, then by all means go with a factory gun.

Look around for kit guns that were done badly by another. Buy it for a low price and re-work it. Typically there is way to much wood lft on the stock and the metal is not polished properly. Basicaly they are often assembled but not finished or shaped.

I always end up spending more money to complete a kit than if I had just bought it finished. I end up with exactly the gun I want though. The metal is finished to my standards, in the color I want. The stock is the color I want, the sheen I want, without worrying about whether they filled the grain, left a blemish, or whatever.

As for the T/C kits. They're top notch. They take a lot of work, but the results are worth the effort, especially when you compare it to the factory finished version.

I built a TC .45 cal half-stock hawken back in the 80's. It took a LONG time for them to come in stock. That was in those wonderful days before inlines and the primitive hunting season was exactly that. It came out somewhat decent, and it shot well. I eventually traded it in part for an M1 Garand, but it might still be shooting. Maybe it became one of those imperfectly built kit guns that someone re-worked.
DJL

i've owned a T/C flinter for darn near thirty years, and although T/C has a wrap around reputation for standing behind their gear, i've never had to find out because the thing is an energizer bunny of reliability... (insert attaboy here)

having said that, it is a cold fact of l;ife that some flintlocks don't get as well cared for as they ought, and these can often be had for not a great deal of money.

you might want to consider grabbing one of these potential bargians, especially if the stock is in rough shape, then contacting Dick Greensides at Pecatonica and buying one of his stocks. you can get a really nice grade stock, with most of the inletting already done, and have your own length of pull, your own choice of finish and ornamentation, and then you'll get all brave afterwards and start making these rifles. have a whole bunch of them, all hand made and custom fit. be the envy of your neighborhood (perhaps i'm getting a bit too excited?)...

Dick is a really great fellow, and his wood is truly outstanding. you should also consider a few books on rifle building- check out Track of the Wolf's website.

good luck

msw

Latest posts

Back