• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C flintlock , lock color?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have noticed that it appears that T/C flintlock , lock color is Black or caseharden? What is the scoop ?

ss1 said:
I have noticed that it appears that T/C flintlock , lock color is Black or caseharden? What is the scoop ?
TC's locks are case colored...old style is completely case colored, the new style has a jet black frizzen

MMMMM, Noticed one on ebay that had a comepley Black finish, lock & hammer. Wondered if T/C had made a new change ?? :hmm:

ss1 said:
MMMMM, Noticed one on ebay that had a comepley Black finish, lock & hammer. Wondered if T/C had made a new change ?? :hmm:
No, as I said, TC's old style Flintlock assemblies are case colored and the new style is case colored but has a jet black frizzen.

What you're referring to sounds like the cheap Italian copies that occasionally pop up on EBay...junk

I just went to T/C's web site. It looks like to me , that all flitlocks, including Fire Storm, are BLACK or BLUE/BLACK. Except for SS. Take a look and see what you think. Am I seeing wrong??

ss1 said:
I just went to T/C's web site. It looks like to me , that all flitlocks, including Fire Storm, are BLACK or BLUE/BLACK. Except for SS. Take a look and see what you think. Am I seeing wrong??
Yes...I've been looking at them for years now...here's a new style case colored one with black frizzen:

5CLOSEUPLockArea800.jpg

Yours looks right. Not even close to what is on web site. Didn't they used to mention that they were caseharden in description. Is the FIRESTORM caseharden as well?

ss1 said:
Yours looks right. Not even close to what is on web site. Didn't they used to mention that they were caseharden in description. Is the FIRESTORM caseharden as well?
TC only makes two Flintlock assemblies...case colored and stainless...and they're the same dimensions / interchangeable.

Every Firestorm Flintlock I've seen has been stainless...maybe they also make a blued one

ss1 said:

This is on TC site. Is this what you're referring to?

TC2.jpg

TC.jpg

They're just very dark in the photo...poor lighting or something...TC's locks are definitely not black in real life

Yes. On ebay the discriptrion reads "Like new Thompson/Center Flintlock. I only fired this about 20 times. Lock is in shows no wear except on the frizzen. Black finish. Auction is for lock only. Fits T/C Hawken, Renegade."
NOW, I just called T/C service dept. Locks come in colors of Caseharden, SS, and Blued [Black]. Last two for firestorm.

I stand corrected...TC's bean counters have been at work...case coloring process is more expensive than a plain lock dipped in bluing...here's a close up of a blued lock on a composite stocked Firestorm:

051007DarklockonFirestorm.jpg

Hello gents, That is my e-bay auction and the lock is indeed jet black. I sent an old lock to the factory in Feb due to a loose frizzen and they sent me a brand new lock in return. When I opened it, I didnt think it would look right on a hawken but it looks just fine. When the lock is not mounted on a rifle the difference between the newer lock and the case color lock is striking.

lakota said:
Hello gents, That is my e-bay auction and the lock is indeed jet black. I sent an old lock to the factory in Feb due to a loose frizzen and they sent me a brand new lock in return. When I opened it, I didnt think it would look right on a hawken but it looks just fine. When the lock is not mounted on a rifle the difference between the newer lock and the case color lock is striking.
If you don't mind, curious to know if it appears to be a "soaked-in" coloring like bluing is soaked into metal...or is it some sort of "add on" coating that is 'on top' of the metal surface (like paint is applied on top of a surface)

Thanks

Selling ML gun PARTS is legal. Selling a complete ML gun is not legal.

Back