• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C hammer problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem?
The hammer on my TC Renegade does not seem to fit properly on the lock. It somewhat "rocks" even after the hammer screw it tight. I have noticed that the sq. hole in the hammer is not filled flush with the square stud in the lock when everything is together. I bought this used, and there is not evidence that anyone has filed or done any backyard gunsmithing on it. What can I do?
Thanks

Is the hammer rocking on the tumbler shaft or is the entire tumbler/hammer assembly rocking in the hole in the lock-plate? There has to be a couple of thousandths clearance or the lock won't work.

The tumbler shaft is tight.
The hammer appears to rock because it seems it will not go onto the shaft as far as it should.
If you shoulder the rifle, the hammer appears to lean to the left. There is a "washer" built into the underside of the hammer and it does not appear to contact the lockplate as it should. I know that it is there for clearance. This is where the hammer "wobble" comes in.

If the square end of the shaft where the hammer goes is not too hard file the flats lightly so that your hammer goes all the way down. If it is too hard for a standard file use a diamond file or tear a strip of emery cloth long enough to double over the end of a small file and reduce the flats that way. It should be a fairly quick/easy repair.

Back