• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken 45 cal accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got a new unifred TC Hawken thats is about 15 yrs old here its a 45 cal and in perfect condition,just wondering if the factory barrels are accurate enough for competition(25&50 yd for score) or should I get a Green Mountain replacement barrel I am thinking a 32" - 40 cal would be nice on there,your input appreciated

tripleh said:
Got a new unifred TC Hawken thats is about 15 yrs old here its a 45 cal and in perfect condition,just wondering if the factory barrels are accurate enough for competition(25&50 yd for score) or should I get a Green Mountain replacement barrel I am thinking a 32" - 40 cal would be nice on there,your input appreciated

Well, my TC .45 x 1:48" barrels are very accurate for my informal range work and certainly for hunting...but my SWAG would be you'd want something more accuracy oriented for real competition work...TC used to make a 1:66" x .45cal RB barrel but discontinued it years ago.

PS: Didn't know GM made a 32" x .40cal drop in for the TC Hawken...think it's 38"...
[url] http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=HawkenRenegadeStyleRifles[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a barrel from foxridge, T/C custom shop in a 1 in 66 twist if you would like to stay with a T/C barrel. :thumbsup:

Not sure about a 45 cal. ?

BILLYGOAT said:
You can get a barrel from foxridge, T/C custom shop in a 1 in 66 twist if you would like to stay with a T/C barrel. :thumbsup:

Not sure about a 45 cal. ?

They don't have them in .45cal...discontinued them several years ago now...they still make/sell the .50 & .54...
(I have a spare TC .45 x 15/16" x 32" x 1:66" Flint barrel still in the box...bought a caplock barrel and sent it back to TC, paid them to swap plugs and make it a Flint barrel)

I put an IBS 40cal, 15/16", 32" 1-48 twist Green Mountian on a TC Hawken percussion. Shoots fine however that small caliber in a 15/16" barrel makes a rather heavy rifle for offhand. Am considering shortening it to 30". Any feedback would be most welcome.

Gill said:
I put an IBS 40cal, 15/16", 32" 1-48 twist Green Mountian on a TC Hawken percussion. Shoots fine however that small caliber in a 15/16" barrel makes a rather heavy rifle for offhand. Am considering shortening it to 30". Any feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks, I never realized there were more barrels listed if you double click on the URL I posted above...I saw it in there when I drilled down deeper...and I'll bet that 38" x .40cal barrel is really heavy.

I have both 32" X 15/16" and 38" X 1" GM .40 calibre drop-in barrels and both are quite heavy. The 38" is really only suitable for bench shooting. But I have shot the best target I've ever shot with a muzzleloader with this barrel. Using a T/C vernier tang sight and a Lyman 17A globe sight I fired a 3 shot clover leaf group at 100 yards. I can't imagine shooting a group off-hand though with this barrel.

10 Thumbs said:
But I have shot the best target I've ever shot with a muzzleloader with this barrel. Using a T/C vernier tang sight and a Lyman 17A globe sight I fired a 3 shot clover leaf group at 100 yards.

That's outstanding accuracy...a person has no way of knowing the accuracy potential of muzzleloading like this until they get deep into the sport...it's amazing considering that all the loading is manual and we're basically measuring the gun powder with a teaspoon...this also says a lot for todays level of quality in mass produced barrels...

IMO, for 25 and 50 yard target shooting your loads are not going to be the typical heavy hunting load and with a tight patch/ball combination the T/Cs 1:48 twist will work fine.
If I was going to spend money building up a TC I would be putting it into my sights, not my barrel.

The TC front sight is anything but a precision device and the rear sight isn't much better.

Some competition will not allow peep sights but if the group your shooting with does allow them I would look for a TC tang mounted sight. TOTW shows them as P/N RS-TC-7194 Dixies P/N is EP0302. I heard these sights are no longer in production but if you can get one you will find it does a nice job.

As for the front sight, the minimum I would do is to file the front sight width down to 1/16 thick or less.

My 2 cents worth.

You might find this company of some interest.[url] http://restorationfirearms.com/index.html[/url]

Gill said:

Do you think 2" would make that much difference? I thought mine was pretty heavy, at first, and indeed, it is heavy, but after I got used to it, the weight doesn't bother me. In fact, I really like the way the barrel hangs on the target. I now prefer to use mine for squirrel hunting over a .32cal Crockett rifle that I have, which is much lighter. I can just shoot it more accurately than the Crockett, which is a fine shooting rifle, itself.

The .45 TC's that I have had experience with were some of the most accurate rifles I have shot. 1/2" 50yrd groups were common for them. I found that every one of a half dozen I tested or, recommended the following load to, would shoot at, or near, this accuracy level. The load was 60 gr. fffg, at the time, Dupont powder, .451 ball, yes, .451. with a .011 to .012 cotton flannel patch. The ball size requires the use of a starter, but once in the bore, they slip right on down. The TC's of the seventies were button rifled, which makes for a very smooth bore finish, although considered a bit shallow, I believe around .005, can't remember for sure. Mine would tear the X out of the X ring at 50yrds all day long. I set one up for a preacher once that shot consistant 3/8" groups at 50 yrds, but maybe he had outside help. I do not know if TC still makes barrels of that quality today, but before you buy a different barrel, give what you have a try, but also consider better, finer sights. I also should add that for some reason, in order to maintain that accuracy level, I had to replace their stainless nipple about every 100 shots. I do not understand that part of it, but that is how it worked. I also found that I had problems duplicateing that performance with any cap other than Remington. I have no explaination for that either.

Thank you for the comments. maybe i just need to shoot it more and do some exercise. Have installed a Lyman 57 and 17a for sights. Will give it some time. 2" at the muzzle should make it feel much lighter but i wonder how it will effect accuracy.
Has anyone shortened a GM small cal. IBS?

Thanks for the input gentlemen,anybody got any ideas on some good replacement sights for the TC sights? I will be using open sights,no peeps....thanks

Mornin tripleh
I had to go with optic front and rear to sea (x-navy) better, I like em,,

take the rear box sight off,,,dovetail the barrel and install leaf sights,,,, :thumbsup:

tripleh said:
Thanks for the input gentlemen,anybody got any ideas on some good replacement sights for the TC sights? I will be using open sights,no peeps....thanks

What kind of sights are on it now?

I have been using Lyman 17A front sights and T/C Contender sights for the rear. The T/C Contender rear sights come in various heights, you have to find the one that works the best.

Actually my favorite rear is a T/C Contender Silhouette sight. The problem though is you have to have the curve on the base milled off so the base is flat. Great sight.

Back