• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken 45 Range Report #2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w_dexter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Some time back I posted a few groups I shot with a 45 cal TC Hawken I picked up cheap....today I shot it at 50 yds and here are the results...the load was a .451 Hornady RB...018 drill cloth patch lubed with Lehigh Valley and 50 gr 3f Swiss....all groups are 5 shots at 50yds..I dunno if these are good ,bad ,or otherwise.....let me know what ya think...I wasnt to worried about sight in just yet since I am looking for a good load for this gun..and after using the factory sights probably a new set of sights,they are rather large.....thanks
50ydtc003.jpg

Looks good to me.Is that combo hard to start?The .451 ball and .018 patch?

I would have thought a .490 ball with a .015 patch
would have been a good starter, but it looks good.

410-er said:
Looks good to me.Is that combo hard to start?The .451 ball and .018 patch?

I use small mallet to start any load,its a bit harder to start than a 445 RB but after it starts it goes down the barrel just like a 445 does,I didnt clean between shots either.... did have a small problem with my wedge key wanting to back out....fixed that now

hjjusa said:
I would have thought a .490 ball with a .015 patch
would have been a good starter, but it looks good.
Its a 45 not a 50. Thats a good match for a 50 though.
I would think that using a mallet and pounding the ball in would deform the ball.
I generally use a .440 and pillow ticking. Goes in snug comes out accurately.

If you can, try a .440 ball and pillow ticking. Stay with the 3FG powder.

For the wedge, just put a slight bend in it and mark the top side of the wedge so it goes back in the same way each time after you clean the rifle. You can even put down one strip of masking tape on the bottom of the barrel channel in the stock to tighten it up some. It'll never show. :thumbsup:

Not too bad, but I think the gun could do better. Try a thinner patch. Maybe .012 or just a tad more. Having to use a mallet may be deforming the balls.

W Dexter said:
"...let me know what ya think..."
IMO, any time holes are cutting each other at the target, its a good thing.

The .45cal is my favorite all around caliber and I've spent a good bit of time at the range and in the woods with .45s over the years.
That said I have no experience using over bore size balls so my "let me know what ya think" reply is just personal opinion based upon a lot of shots with .45s.

You didn't mention if offhand or benched, so I'll assume benched...and I'm not sure but what .440s or even .445s might shrink that group a little...maybe not. I think the .45cal is an inherently accurate one...and if you didn't change a thing those are still very respectable groups at 50 yards.
If you're on a quest to see if the groups can be reduced more, you might try some .440s with .018"-.022" patches.

Groups were fired from the bench off sandbags...I am gonna try 445's at 50 next time I shoot,I have shot 445s at 25yds....they shot fine at that distance,there posted here on another thread...I think the groups might have been a little better but the wedge pin kept backing out ,I have since corrected that problem so we will see next time I shoot....thanks everyone

Wick Ellerbe said:
Not too bad, but I think the gun could do better. Try a thinner patch. Maybe .012 or just a tad more. Having to use a mallet may be deforming the balls.
Thanks Wick..I use a ball starter along with the mallet,it seems to only leave a slight mark...I agree with you I think the gun is capable of a little better,I was having problems with the wedge pin backing out each shot I tightened that up when I got home....also the factory sights are not the best for target shooting..I could have maybe done better with a square notch set up like I use on my other rifles

Back