• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T.C Hawken .50 cal with Green Mtn Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekingd93

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I hadn't shot any muzzleloaders in quite some time until yesterday. I have a .50 Cal Hawken rifle with a 32 inch Green Mountain barrel 1:70 twist. I shot a 5 shot group out to 100 yards from the bench and I think I did alright. The winds were very light but the sun happened to be shining right at me from my shooting position so the sun glare on the barrel made it a little difficult to see the sights but I did my best. I'll attach a picture of the paper target with my 5 shot group. 70 grains of Swiss 3F with a 0.15 patch & .490 Hornady round ball. Seems to be an accurate load. Is this load enough to take whitetail deer under 100 yards? I think swiss powder is a little hotter than others.

Attachments

• t.c hawk target.jpg
    t.c hawk target.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 7
  • t.c hawk.jpg
    t.c hawk.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
If you rub some paste car wax on the top side of your barrel it will cut the glare from the sun if you find yourself in that position again. Pretty sure you can make meat with that combination. I think too if you tweak your charge some you could tighten that group up some. Especially with that barrel. 100 yards is a long shot for my old eyes.

70 grains of Swiss FFF is plenty for whitetail deer with a .50 cal round ball.
As always, WHERE you hit them is more important than WHAT you hit them with.

Last edited:
That is the same load I use when hunting deer with a .50. haven't lost or had to look for one yet. Only differences being I'm not using Swiss. And my shots are usually around 35-40 yards due to thick woods. Your load will make meat as long as you do your part.

I would vary the ball size, powder load and patch thickness to see what your gun likes, with the right combo you should have every shot in the black at 100 yards providing there is no operator error. If you work up a load, do it at 50 yards so you can see your sights and target better.

I hadn't shot any muzzleloaders in quite some time until yesterday. I have a .50 Cal Hawken rifle with a 32 inch Green Mountain barrel 1:70 twist. I shot a 5 shot group out to 100 yards from the bench and I think I did alright. The winds were very light but the sun happened to be shining right at me from my shooting position so the sun glare on the barrel made it a little difficult to see the sights but I did my best. I'll attach a picture of the paper target with my 5 shot group. 70 grains of Swiss 3F with a 0.15 patch & .490 Hornady round ball. Seems to be an accurate load. Is this load enough to take whitetail deer under 100 yards? I think swiss powder is a little hotter than others.
70 grains was enough for the buffalo hunters... .45-70. should work for deer

70 grains was enough for the buffalo hunters... .45-70. should work for deer

Big difference between a 405 grain .458 bullet in a 45-70 gubbermint and a patched 50 cal round ball. That 45 cal bullet has gobs of penetration capabilities then a 50 cal patched round ball can muster.

Not sayin anything negative about the 50 cal ball here. Just that in comparison with the 45-70 rifle it is a very different pup.

You have a fine rifle with a great barrel. Be sure to hang on to it because those barrels are hard to duplicate now. And...I would hunt deer with that rig. Personally I would want better sights for hunting. I have red dot sights mounted on a one of my muzzloaders and am working on a mount now for a second barrel.

Latest posts

Back