• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Cougar?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20240925_042956800_HDR.jpg

I had forgotten about the special model Thompson Center Hawken Cougar until just now. Here is a .50 caliber rifle I bought two or three years ago. I figured a previous owner had removed the bluing, but now I wonder...might this be a Cougar? Did all Cougars have the medallion on the stock?

That's an in-the-white Renegade, likely a kit gun with a way over sanded stock.

A "Cougar" had the butt stock medallion and I am pretty sure they all had "Cougar" stamped on the barrel. The kit guns had blued everything, except the barrel. The lock, trigger guard, wedge plates etc. were usually blued... not sure how the early kits were though, just speaking from observation over the years. That might be a franken-gun with some stainless parts. If it's a kit gun, the barrel serial number will begin with "K" and the stock should also have a "K" stamped inside the channel.

Back