• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C hawken kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol_luke66

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Could any one who has done one of these tell me what's involved? How well is it inleted and how well is the stock shaped? Does any work need to be done to the brass? Also, is it blued.
I'm thinking about getting one of these when I send my deerstalker back and then ordering a .54 30" barrel with slow twist from fox ridge.
One more thing, I want to shoot prb's and want something bigger then a .50. If you were in my shoes would ya get a 54 or 58 and why.

Thanks

Luke

Could any one who has done one of these tell me what's involved? How well is it inleted and how well is the stock shaped? Does any work need to be done to the brass? Also, is it blued.
I'm thinking about getting one of these when I send my deerstalker back and then ordering a .54 30" barrel with slow twist from fox ridge.
One more thing, I want to shoot prb's and want something bigger then a .50. If you were in my shoes would ya get a 54 or 58 and why.
Thanks
Luke

A lot of finish work has to be done on the kit stock and the brass, as they usually have a lot of machine marks still in them.

It's been my experience that you can find mint condition used factory finished TC Hawkens for about the same money you'd spend on a kit, and not have to fool with it.

IMO, caliber depends on what you'll use it for...if just sighting in and the occasional shot hunting, a .58cal is an outstanding caliber and will put down most anything on the NA continent with authority, and carry energy to longer distances for longer shots while doing it.

On the other hand, if you'll be shooting it a lot year round because you enjoy shooting muzzleloaders, commercially made .58cal balls are much more expensive, almost twice the cost of .54cal balls.

Bilt my T/C 50 Hawken from a kit in Apr 1977.Been doin this kind of work all my life so had all tools etc. I did a lot of work on the stock---- slimed it up a lot. It looks much better than ( IMHO ) the somewhat clubby stock. Finished it in linseed (hand rubbed like the stocks of yesterday were). Beats the heck out of a poly finished stock. Brass didn't need much work, but mill marks on the barrel took a lot of draw filing. All turned out super--- with 100 hrs of work before a shot was fired. Its a dream to shoot, and I still can't beleve how accurate. I have taken lots of game with it including deer, turkey, grey sq. ground hogs--keep on--keep on.... Man I love it. :m2c:

Back