• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C hawken or Lyman GPR (54 cal)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it hold though a cleaning ok? Or do you reblue it often?

nope i just hit it once and fergot bout it....just don't scrub it like ya want to polish it....just wipe it down .........bob

This is a no brainer for me, the Lyman GPR. I don't believe anyone can say anything bad about the TC Hawken except that it should have been called the "TC English Sporting Rifle", which would have been just as accurate, instead of Hawken. It looks as much like a Hawken as a half stock Ohio rifle.

One will shoot as good as the other. TC's Warranty is better from what everyone says. If you want the rifle that looks at least something like what it's called, it's the Lyman. I doubt either choice would be wrong.

Vic

First of all everyone is different. Now all the guys I shoot with like the felt recoil from the T.C.'s better than the Lyman.
We have a Lyman GPR and the Trade rifle in camp, function is fine, accuracy is good but they kick US like mules with the heavier elk loads that we shoot through them.
On the other hand, we have T.C.'s in the Renegade, Black Mt. Magnum and Hawken and even the guys that own the Lymans admit that the T.C.'s just shoot softer load for load.
Go Figure! :shake:

Larry

All I can say is that recoil with my .54 GPR using max and near max hunting loads (100 gr 3f, 110 gr 2f) is not unpleasant. I quit shooting skeet because of a little shoulder arthritis and didn't want to "overdo it". But the patched round ball with these loads doesn't bother me. For plinking/small game/offhand practice, however, 65 grains 3f is a puppy ::

For huntin,,,,TC is a lot easier to carry and shoots REAL good otherwise the Lyman is more authentic as a Hawkens,,BUT a lot heavier to lug around the woods all day!!! (been there done that)!!

I bought a TC Renegade Lower Half off Ebay. Ended up being cracked under the lock. Called TC they said no problem send and the barrel in. I told her I did not have the original barrel anymore. She said that was ok send the one that is in it now. I had to buy a Green Mountain 32" .58 1 in 70" twist barrel from TOTW to send in with it so they could "make sure everything fit right." They ended up sending it back with a brand new stock and owners manual.

Unfortunately the new stock has a rubber recoil pad where the original had a steel buttplate.

Nothing wrong with the GPR but I wanted a .58 and I took the easiest route which was the TC Renegade.

ol_luke66,
That's a tough one...I have had both in .50cal and i personally prefer the Lyman GPR. I don't hunt any-
thing bigger than deer, and i have to say i don't see the need for a .54 but this again is a matter of choice...To
be very honest i have harvested more deer with my .45 cal.
percussion Hawken than any of the other .50 or .54's i
own. :imo: :m2c:
snake-eyes :results:

I inherited a T/C Renegade in.54 cal flint. After soring thru all of dad's stuff; I've shot it w/ 365 grn maxi-hunters & 120 grn. FFg Goex. It did get my cheek, once out of three shots. I can live w/ that as I'm only gonna carry it huntin'. It meets the requirements of PA's winter flint season so I'm set...I do like the renegade's plain furniture ocer all the brass on the Hawken...

:m2c:

I have a GPR and love it, my buddy has a TC and I've fired it. He likes it very much and I think you can't make a wrong choice here. Both are great guns. Get the one that feels the best when you bring it to your shoulder.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on!

-Shooey

Back